Light before sprouting

(Zone 6a)

Does the pot/tray that seeds are sown in have to be under lights or near a window before the seeds actualy show above the soil? The reason I'm asking is because it's a little on the cool side near the window where I keep my seeds......probably around 62 and alot of my seeds seem to take longer then they should to sprout. So I was wondering if I could move the trays somewhere warmer to speed germination and then move them back under the window after they sprout? After the seeds get sprouted they grow on fine, it's just getting them to sprout.

Thanx,
Steven

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm not an expert Steven, but I think most plants prefer bottom heat to germinate. I don't think it's a must, but it certainly speeds things along. I generally keep mine on a heat mat until they sprout then put them under light. Any place warm will work if you don't have a mat. I've heard of people using the top of their fridge or water heater, heating register, etc.

Good luck. I hope you didn't get the cold snap that we got down here. Oye my poor WS containers!
La

(Zone 6a)

Yup, we got snow! Not very cold only around 32, but I checked my sprouts yesterday and they looked fine.

I don't have a heat mat right now so I guess it's alright to move the trays away from the widow to somewhere warmer until they sprout.

Thanks for your reply,
Steven

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.