Rooting plants in water

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I so enjoyed the rooting jar exchange we had in house plant forum. Here are some things I rooted in water. Let's see some more from other members.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Variegated Wandering Jew

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is variegated ivy.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Jewel Orchid.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Good job! I was rooting for you! (groan)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

oh a thread I like....too bad it is too dark to take pics tonight!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a couple of plants I received from the rooting jar exchange first my succulent vine. It's doing very well. I started it in water but it wasn't looking to good so I decided to move it into some potting soil and sand mix. It's doing so good I took a couple of starters from it already so I can fill the pot a little fuller.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've been having a lot of fun with the Ivy, I received a couple of pieces of Ivy I know one came from you Buttoneer. I buried one strand in potting soil laid lengthwise with the leaves sticking out. Thinking that I would get roots at each leaf section and then cut it in to pieces. That hasn't happened yet. I put another piece in a rooting jar and I'm getting all kinds of roots from that. Plus I cut several small pieces off both Ivies and put those in a very small rooting jar. I have an idea for my Ivy I always wanted to do an Ivy wreath ( like the succulent wreath in your picture) Now I just have to figure out what flowering plant would look nice in an Ivy wreath. Think I'll start a thread asking for suggestions.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the last of my plants from the Rooting Jar Exchange, This came from Lin, I believe she called it an Arrow vine. Looks different from the one I already have that is called an Arrow vine. It is showing some nice root development and will be a nice addition to my house plant collection.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

First here's some ivy that I got sent in the jar exchange, showing nice roots and new light green leaves.

Thumbnail by sallyg

And here is a malanga that I got at the grocery store. It's been in water for a week. On advice from the Aroid forum, I just potted it and am looking for a safe warm spot.
Edit- I think actually it was in the taro bin, but very similar

This message was edited Apr 15, 2007 12:03 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

What is it a taro? & which grocery store had it? It's nice living close. LOL.

a Shopper's Food Warehouse had it. I think it's something in the general category of taro or elephant ears- the person who advised me in Aroids referred to it as a Xanth I think. I just figured it looked like it would grow...it was worth the 13 cents for the novelty of it, if I knew it would work I would have picked a bigger one. Elephant ears at the nursery this morning were 5.99 for a baseball sized one. Now I want to go to the Asian market and see what else they might have.

See Plantfiles here-http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2218/index.html and look at the picture by dheadley

This message was edited Apr 7, 2007 7:03 PM

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Learing, learning learning!

Is the "rooting jar" filled simply water or do you put a rooting hormone in with it?

La

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I never tried rooting hormone in the water, but I could try it when I get some new rooting hormone. Then again, you can always use Willow Water, which is made when you root anything in the willow family (willow trees, pussy willows, etc), and root something else in that same water. I haven't tried moist perlite, yet this year, but that works very well, Now I don't know about that gel from the granules but that could conceiveably work, also. Were you involved in our rooting jar exchange we had at houseplant forum?

This message was edited Apr 8, 2007 12:16 PM

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

No Buttoneer, I'm pretty new to Dave's (hi!). Through the years I have stuck a broken piece of "this" or a pinched piece of "that" in a glass of water just like anyone else with house plants. My rooting successes have been hit or miss and frankly I never paid much attention to what did or didn't do well.

I have since become very engrossed with all things horticulture and am looking for any tips to raise my success level. Last night after I posted my original question I actually started an experiment with some kalanchoe and ivy cuttings in water with a little rooting hormone. If you're interested I'll be happy to let you know how they do.

Thanks for responding and have a great day!
La

This message was edited Apr 8, 2007 9:52 PM

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure nuff. I would be very interested to see how you make out with them. Did you get a lot of snow? My cousin & her husband lives in Cleveland & last nite, they told me they got 9 inches of snow. Ugh.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

We've only had a dusting of snow, but the temperature dropped down into the teens where it has remained for several days now. Sadly this drop occurred after a week of 70° weather so of course everything was in bloom. There's been quite a bit of damage to my outdoor plants, but I guess we won't know the full extent 'til it warms back up again. I guess this is all a part of it, eh?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Arboricola rooted in water

Allison

Thumbnail by onewish1
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Allison, thanks for the pix of the Schefflera that you rooted. I'd like to see more pix of what people are rooting. Remember that Hoya above that I rooted in water, well, the root broke off (boo hoo) so I put it back in water & it developed 3 roots!!!! I carefully & tenderly planted it in houseplant mix this morning. I immediately put another leaf in water. Just wonder how long it will take for the vine to develop after it has rooted & has been planted.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

What a neat thread Buttoneer.I need to go round up a few pics of cuttings I have rooting right now.I like the looks of them so much I almost wish I could leve them in water always instead of planting in soil.LOL

Oh By The Way I See Today Is Your Birthday....HAPPY BIRTHDAY .Hope you have a great day : ))

Nancy

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Nancy, thank you so much. DH & I drove to Lancaster, PA area and shopped at 3 mennonite-owned nurseries & greenhouses and filled up the car with plants. then we went to a mennonite-owned & operated buffet restaurant and filled up that way. Then we drove 50 miles home & collapsed. LOL. It was a wonderful birthday & the weather was perfect, blue skies (for a change) temps in the high 60's and just gorgeous.

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I hope I'm not too late to post a picture of sweet potatoe sprouts I got to root in water. They look as if they might be ready to pot? It only took them 2 days to start showing roots. The small one I put in a shot glass with water and look at the roots!!:)
I've done my ivy that way also. It started as a small cutting from MIL and it is near about bigger than the original plant the cutting came from!!
--How or where do I learn more about the rooting jar exchange? I'd love to get involved. :)
Elizabeth

Thumbnail by ejennings
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Lala Jane, if you're still following this thread: with the Kalanchoes, you don't need to put them in water, in fact, I'd be surprised (especially in winter) if they don't rot. If you just set them on dry soil, they'll form roots, although many succulents are dormant during the winter. It's tempting to water them but don't - no roots, no way to take up water, so they rot. That's just a *very* general rule on succulents. There's tons of different kinds with a wide variety of needs.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Pagencat,

My Kalanchoe experiment was wildly successful. I suppose it was winter boredom that found me dissecting that plant like a freshman biology project, and everything I tried seemed to work! I put some cuttings directly in soil which rooted beautifully as did the ones in water. The ones in water took much longer, but not a single one rotted and they eventually formed roots strong enough to sustain them. I also tried my hand at some leaf cuttings (first time try) and even though I lost the biggest percentage of those to rot, I have a 6 pack of them that rooted too. They may never grow up to be anything but a leaf with roots, LOL, but by golly I wanted roots and I got roots.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm glad I started this thread. It is proving very interesting & I am enjoying what can root in water & what cannot. FYI, green cuttings of Fuschia will not root in water, even though I really thought they would. I think I am going to put some rooting hormone in the water & see if that makes a difference. I may even try to make some willow water & try rooting them in that. I will also try to root one in regular potting soil, which I know will work but I was hoping I could root them in water.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Buttoneer about 6-7 posts down is a thread about rooting fuschia in water. Some of the posters had luck with this method....wonder why yours didn't root.

Greensboro, AL

water rooters may be interested in using aquarium aerators to root plants:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/658552/

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Fabulous, LLJane - I'm glad it worked for you! I warn you, once you start exploring the other Kalanchoes, you could be a propagating fool. There's tons of really cool ones.

I tired the aerator to root some brugmansias, successfully. I've also heard of people using a little hydrogen peroxide to further oxygenate cuttings - not sure of the specifics on that one.

Greensboro, AL

There are three continuous threads in the propagation forum entitled "Roots Easily in Water" on the use of the aquarium aerator.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/576085/

Here is a thread on the use of H2O2 - hydrogen peroxide.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm new to this site, so some of the things you talk about is greek to me. I'm also not very good at rooting stuff. What is a rooting jar? The only thing I've ever been able to grow in water is Ivy. Everything else I try just rot. I really want to try some new things. Can you root begonias in water?
Thanks

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I tried rooting a tuberous begonia in water once and it rotted. I have good luck with any kind of ivy.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been having great success with rooting vines in water. My most recent success was with thunbergia grandiflora, I am stoked. I've also done bleeding heart vine (house plant) and brugmansia, this is just starting to grow roots. I've had more success with starting in water than in seedstarting mix. Will jasmin root in water?

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

This morning I found a hosta leaf has been broken off down near the stem. Can hostas be rooted in water - or any other way?? I'd really appreciate any info. Thank you :)

Montreal, Canada

I am trying to root a nerium oleander cutting in water. Has anyone tried this method with this plant? I also have one rooting in regular soil, but covered to maintain humidity. I am trying to see which method is best and is the most effective

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Daisy, from everything I've heard (and seen to a smaller degree) as long as there's a piece of the crown.....even a tiny piece......it will probably take root in water.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Lala Thanks for responding, wish it was better news. It was broken about 1" above the crown - drat. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Have a good day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.