April: Still NO germination (part II)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

The other thread is really long.... and pretty much covered the month of March 2007

If you want to go back to it; http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700131/

Is there anyone that still does NOT have any germination?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, most of what I had winter sowed has not germinated yet - some snapdragons, some babies breath, some poppies, some foxglove, some batchelor buttons.

Still waiting for columbine, lavender, larkspur, delphinium, hollyhock, candy lily, viola, purple coneflower, pink coneflower, cosmos (old seed), california poppy, nigella, mexican sunflower, carnation, icelandic poppy, lupin, etc.

probably just as well - the weather here is appalling.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I concur. I'm ~50 miles away, with minimal germination, and the weather is what we call RAW. They shouldn't have called it 'global warming', they should have called it 'global climate changes'!

xxx, Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Actually, that is the official term "global climate change" - the computer projections suggest that while overall planet temperature may rise, part of the world - especially northern Europe may get temperatures similar to places of similar latitude in N. America. For instance, Leningrad could have temperatures similar to Whitehorse, Yukon. :-) Scotland could receive temperatures similar to Hudson Bay, Canada.

I wonder if this freezing cold spring means a cool summer - or do we endure the other extreme of hot and humid (I prefer cool myself)

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Lots of empty containers here too. No sign of the sweet peas, Aquilegia x caerulea, Aquilegia canadensis, Aquilegia vulgaris var. stellata, Chinese lanterns, Celosia argentea var. plumosa, bronze fennel, Heuchera sanguinea, delphinium, datura metel (I think that the seed packet is a bust (it's from Thompson & Morgan, and I've had poor germination rates with many of their seeds--I will not buy from them again)...none of them germ indoors either, and yet another variety of datura from Onalee's seeds that I started indoors at the same time are doing great, fiber optic grass, foxglove, hollyhock, marigold, nasturtium ('Milkmaid' is doing great, 'Caribbean Cocktail' has nothing), allium cernuum, Papaver somniferum, Murraya paniculata, Calendula officinalis, cleome, 'Teddy Bear' sunflower ('Mammoth' sunflower already has 2 seedlings), and zinnia. I still have some more to do. Think it will have to wait until after Easter. I'm hosting and my house is a disaster! Tamara

Calais, ME(Zone 4b)

So far not a single sprout but I'm not complaining since the temps have been very low and we are now covered with a foot of snow. Once this weather glitch has passed I am going to move my containers out to the front of my house into more sun. Right now everything is in mostly shade. I was so desperate for seedlings that I planted Thumbelina zinnias and cosmos inside....now I have lots of seedlings. ;~)
Bonny

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Seandor, most of those on your list of no-shows are the same ones that have not germed yet for me. Patience is one thing I have. I'm glad they haven't if they couldn't have survived this freeze. Let's hope for the next warming pattern to bring out a bunch more.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It is still earlier than mine started to germinate last year.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Seandor,

These days we ALWAYS have a hot horrid summer, so I wouldn't expect cool!

xxx, Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't get it - yesterday my mother had 80 degrees in the BC interior (normal might be 48 degrees) - and Texas has snow!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

We are hearing that we will get up to 5" of the white stuff tomorrow with more on the way. I did some more winter sowing yesterday. I might as well take advantage of the cold it doesn't seem to be good for anything else.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I'm doing today. Since I did so much work getting ready for hosting Easter, I'm going to give myself a housework-free day and just play in the dirt! Oh, and watch my 3 little ones. ;-) Maybe I can get them in on the action. Tamara

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Columbine and echinacea are slow for me too. I have just a few measly seedlings of Origami columbine. No way they're going to bloom the first year as advertised. I sowed 3 types of echinacea. No germination yet on the Twilight (my own saved seeds), and just 2 or 3 each of Magnus and Doppelganger. Still hopeful for more.

Karen

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Just checked on my containers. Nothing new, as expected. On a good note, I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised to see that none of the seedlings have perished despite this terrible weather. Granted, I only left 4 containers outside and pushed them against the side of the house. I was really expecting them not to make it. My faith in WS is growing. :-) Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.