Puzzling dilemma ....

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

That's wild, it looks like it's caterpillar form.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

How cool!! Yes and wild too!
Won't be long now!

By the way, Sheila_FW called and said she made it through the surgery well!! Yaay!
Deb

Edinburg, TX

Don't ya just love the way you can make out the shape of the eyes, antennae and wings etc.?! Way cool.

I am amazed at how similar it looks to the Pluto Sphinx cocoon.

Here's a photo of a couple. This is the second year I've raised them.

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint

Very cool!

Good to hear about Sheila, say hi for us!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Well ..... I think my moth is getting ready to pupate. His chrysalis has softened and he's not moving when I touch him now. Hopefully tomorrow. Here's a photo of how he looks now. He's gotten much darker. You can actually see the wings! Too cool!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Edinburg, TX

The time is about right. Do hope you'll be able to get photos of it emerging and post them for us to see :o)

~ Cat

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Waiting to see here..Glad it's the weekend, maybe you'll catch the whole thing Becky!!!

I'm waiting too......very exciting....

Well, the Tersa Moth emerged a little while ago. He looks like a stealth plane. LOL!

Unfortunately, I noticed that the tip of one wing is bent. So don't know if he will be able to fly or not. Probably from leaning up against the chrysalis shell when he emerged. (bummer!)

Pic #1

Pic# 2

Pic# 3

I will try to release him tonight at dusk. Hopefully he'll be able to fly away.

One more that shows his coloring much better.

He's just beautiful!!! Great job! It's such a small area that's bent, I'll bet he'll be okay. (fingers crossed)

Palm Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Becky!
How thrilling! He's just awesome looking!

~Adrienne

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's a bird!!! It's a plane!!! No! It's a Supertersa!!!!

What an amazing looking creature Becky!! WTG! Yaay!

I hate it when their wing gets bent in drying, they usually will not straighten out.. Such a tiny crimp tho, it should be able to fly..

How did that go?

Thanks y'all for finding this thread interesting! That moth was really neat! I tried to let him go a couple of times last night and he kept flying back to me. LOL! Finally he flew off. The bent wing tip didn't seem to be a problem. Their wings move so fast that they really do look like hummers! Way cool! I haven't seen anymore cats on my Pentas lately. Of course, that doesn't mean anything. There could be more and I just don't see them! lol They blend in so well.

Nothing much else going on in my yard except the feathered and furry critters. My family has all seen our 2 little mice. They sit and eat the seeds in the bowls and on the ground right next to the squirrels. It's funny that Simon (the alpha squirrel) will let them eat near him but not other squirrels! LOL! The mice also go around to areas where the squirrels bury the seeds and dig them up and eat them! Too funny! And a good thing!!! :-)

I have only seen Monarchs, Sulphurs, and Gulf Fritillaries lately. No new butterflies. Strange... but I haven't seen any skippers lately. The butterflies have been rather sparse here. Not sure why. Perhaps the drought is the problem. No rain and very, very dry.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Happy the Tersa made it!! sweet it flew back.. SOmetimes the BF's I have released will do that, and sometimes they tear out of here like their butts on fire...SO many different personalities with these critters.
Funny about the squirrels letting the mice eat and pushing off the other squirrels.. It reminds me of the doves with each other, and then allowing sparrows. Guess they figure the lil ones don't eat too much. However if they ever catch them digging up thier stash, that might be another thing entirely..hahhah!

:-)

Edinburg, TX

Congrats on releasing the Tersa. Looks mighty fine...that little bend in the wing won't slow it down at all.

~ Cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.