Can Potatoes Be Grown in Containers?

Corte Madera, CA

hello, everyone! i just planted some potato seeds in a 15g smart pot. we shall see in spring!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Very interesting subject.
I grow tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and cukes in 5 gallon grow bags. I am goin to grow potatoes in the grow bags this year. I will let yall know how it turns out. Also these grow bags are white---less heat. I know I can only grow 1 plant per bag---or push my luck and grow 2 plants per bag. (experiment). Bags are reusable and cost little.
If you are doing a lot of container gardening-- 500 grow bags cost only $125. For a regular gardener, that would last forever. Averaging $0.25 per pot / grow bag. Soil cost per grow bag varies. But to use commercial compost and some peat moss would cost about $1.25 each bag.

Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey Moonglow,
does the fabric of the smart pot look like weed barrier? I can't tell from the photos on their site. Devota

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Cricket
What do you mean (grow bag)?. I Don't remember seeing them anywhere.

~Terry

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

a grow bag comes in many sizes. The five gallon of course are about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. Grow bags have holes down the side and bottom for air inlet and water outlet. They come in black or white. They are the thickness of heavy duty commercial trash bags.

they look like this after filled with soil.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Cricket
Thanks

~Terry
thnks again

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 9:29 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.