early bloomers part II

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The other thread was getting too long so I thought that I would start a new thread.

This is Star Woman. She's an IB.

Hope that the freeze wasn't too hard on you all.

Here's the old thread if you'd like to look!
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/699547/

This message was edited Apr 4, 2007 8:01 AM

Thumbnail by doss
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

This beauty is blooming today -

"Royal Crusader"

Thumbnail by mrsj
Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Royal Crusader is going on my "wish list" for sure. I have Wild Thing, Headline Banner, Sail Master, and Afternoon Delight blooming today.

This is my Wild Thing

Thumbnail by diamndsnjns
Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

This is Afternoon Delight

Thumbnail by diamndsnjns
Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

This is Sail Master (in back) and Headline Banner (front)

Thumbnail by diamndsnjns
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love Afternoon Delight - what colors!

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you mrsj - I fell in love with it when it opened. This is my first year growing irises.....I'm afraid this is going to be as bad an addiction as the daylilies have become....lol.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm afraid that I've fallen for both. And then there are Japanese Maples. Of course they take a lot of room - so many plants so little space.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I started with daylilies two years ago and added the bearded iris last fall - I love 'em all!
The daylilies totally die-back here once the major heat hits, I am told the iris won't so that will be nice.....I've interplanted the iris and daylilies along with perennials so hopefully the bed will still be interesting during the summer!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds as if you have a plan. I've got iris mixed in with limonium, roses, lilies,daylilies and russian sage. They work very well there.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Love the Royal Crusader.

Okay I am getting into some not so early bloomers for me. They are either termed Early to Mid or Mid season bloomers.
Here's Dime Spot

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug

Bethany Claire and an Unknown historic Peach Iris

A real Historic iris 'Madame Chereau'

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The historic is so delicate -= wonderful! I'm heading into mid season too but so many other places are just barely beginning. I hope that the bad weather isn't going to ruin everyone's iris gardens this spring.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Boy, that 'Royal Crusader' is impressive! I like that 'Madame Chereau' too. I know zippity-nothing about these kinds of Iris but I sure like lookin' at them! =)
Debbie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Debbie - isn't it great that you don't have to know anything about a flower to love it? I feel that way about orchids. Don't have any but love to look at them.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

yep--I feel the same way. I always seem to love things that won't grow in my area. Like tall lovely lupines, etc. =)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

you're a zone denier like me. They've finally come up with a lilac that will grow in our area but I'm out of room!

'Cajun Spices' bloomed today. This is a new one for me. I love the color.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

cajun spices is one of my favorites - I do have a lot of favorites but that hot color is great.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

great color with cajoun spice!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

had this IB bloom last week before our snow and freezes came and wiped my entire boom season out
American Patriot IB
edited because i had wrong name on iris
oops !!!

This message was edited May 4, 2007 12:52 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Slovak Prince is right. Mine isn't blooming yet though. Sorry about your frost Tazzy.

I brought this one inside before our snow yesterday.
Lightning Streak

Here is what my irises looked like today.

These were Mariposa Autumn & Jurassic Park. I didn't bring these in due to them already having bloomed. I tried to concentrate on rescuing all of the stalks of iris in that were ready to bloom.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm so sorry about your iris and other plants. It seems to have happened over a huge area this year with hostas and japanese Maples and other plants frozen solid. The photo of iris in the snow though is in it's own way pretty fabulous.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tazzy & Texas: I hope your iris all recover fully! Perhaps there are some buds there that'll still surprise you. Hope so, anyway. I cut all mine that were open last night before our freeze; just waiting to see what will happen to the rest...they look ok, but we have overnight freeze #2 still to come.
Deb

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That pic of iris in the snow is one of the prettiest, and one of the saddest, I have seen on this forum.

We were so lucky here that our snow had just gone, plants had not had a chance to be up over an inch or so, so will not be damaged. I feel so bad for all you gardeners that may lose blooms due to this weather. I hope for all of you the plants themselves will not be harmed.

Well hope Springs eternal (the pun is intended). The good thing (if there is one) is that it really didn't freeze here, there was just lots of snow. Saturday was in the mid 30's all day and then today it was back up in the 40's and 50's and two days from now it will be in the 70's and 80's again. I still have hope that some of the iris will bud out and give me some good flowers, although I bet their growth will be stunted if they do.

If not, I have the iris in the vases that were about to bloom as it snowed. Three of those have opened and it has been nice to have them in the house with all the cold outside. I will keep you posted on any of the other blooms that may occur.

Okay the good news is one of my outside iris buds flowered today. I was so happy. Maybe there is hope yet for all of my buds.

Here is one I had to cut and bring inside. Lacy Linda

Here is 'Dark Waters'

'Navy Band' Another one I had to cut and bring inside.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Really beautiful. I'm glad that at least you're getting to enjoy them inside.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lovely! And I'm glad to hear the outside ones are still with you!
Deb

Debin & Doss, Thanks for the compliments on the iris snow pictures. As disappointing as it was, it was really quite beautiful to see these warm weather flowers in all that snow. And then, I was glad the snow melted.
:-)

Deb, It is yet to be seen how the outside irises were affected but there is hope. That is all I can ask for right now. If feel so bad for those who lost the whole bloom season. It is just heartbreaking!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a yellow and white no-name iris that is blooming on my back patio; it is in a container. I think it is just beautiful

Thumbnail by Posie4U
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Posie - that looks like "Joyce Terry" or "Total Recall", unfortunately I have both and can't tell the diff...I must have really liked 'em though!

audrey

Thumbnail by mrsj
Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

They certainly do look alike. Food for thought.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.