quickgrowing creepers/hedges

bagnols sur ceze, France

I planted two vines over two years ago and they have only grown about an inch. I wanted them to form a screen across the bottom of a small garden so now I have to replace them with something quick growing to give privacy to the garden but I do not want a hedge higher than 1.5 metres. I also want two quick growing climbers to cover a trellis. One has to be in a pot but the other one can be planted in a flower bed. I live in the Gard where we can have very hot and windy weather and the garden is a hot spot with a southern exposure and no shelter from any other trees. Bamboo has been suggested as it can give a nice filtered light, grows very quickly and different species grow to varying heights. But it is not my favourite plant and I would be grateful for some other suggestions. No garden centre round here can help.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Passion flower might do well, here it goes mad, and covers a large area in a small amount of time.
And if you'r area is warmer than here in the UK (zone 8/9) then you might be able to grow one of the more exotic looking ones.

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

You say you planted vines, what kind of vines are they? I was thinking that grape vines are fast growing, also Bouganvillea, several kinds of Passion flower, Morning glory as a quick annual would grow in pots or tubs.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Clematis armandii is a good evergreen vine that would perform well in a large container, and has sweet flowers. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55613/index.html

Grape vines in the ground, some have great fall foilage and fruit.

For annual vines try http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/list/climbers-trailers they should be able to ship to you.

I live in the tropics, I would offer you some cuttings of our local favorites, but, they would not grow well so far north.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I found a source for Clematis armandii, expensive by US standards.

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/list/perennials/7

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

For a quick hedge, have you considered lavender (Lavendula)? They can be pruned on the sides to force them to grow taller. I have seen some plants grown between two rows of staked wire mesh placed about .5 meter apart, when the plant grows thru the wire it is trimmed. The wire mesh provides support for the plant (such as lavender) that cannot hold itself up (lavender is a spreading plant usually). I have done it with Lantana. Takes time but worked well.

bagnols sur ceze, France

Thanks everybody. The garden is full of lavender bushes which grow very well here. I have a passion fruit growing on another wall so would like something different. I tried morning glory on a terrace last year but it was too hot and sunny for it and had to be watered at least twice a day though the flowers were beautiful. The vines were grape vines so I don't know what went wrong. We can grow Bouganvillia here in a pot but the winters are often too cold so I will try some of the clematis. Where I live is quite difficult to get things which should grow to grow but will give the clematis a try.

I know have another problem. My lemon tree is loosing most of its leaves though it is flowering well and also growing new leaves. Now my clementine tree is showing the same symptoms. They are both in pots on a very sunny south facing terrace. However what may be the problem is that they have both become infected with a litle white ribbed shell shaped 'thing' . I have sprayed them which seems to be getting rid of them but I wonder if they are the sort of infection which also drops into the soil and affects the roots? `My local garden centres suggested spraying with Capiscol which I have done but it does not seem to working as quickly as they said as I have had to spray the trees three times (at 15 day intervals) I am worried that the trees will die anyway as more leaves are falling. Capiscol is supposed to act against Cochenilles infections but from the picture on the packet I don't think these are. I took one to my garden centre but they could not identify them.Any suggestions please.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.