Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Just ordered the following from http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk

ARTICHOKE
JAPANESE GINGER
BASIL, SACRED
CARDAMOM
CITRONELLA
MASHUA/TUBEROUS NASTURTIUM

But the herbs that I most wanted, Stevia, French Tarragon and Curry Leaf cant get till the Autumn
Never mind, I'm still very excited about my purchases!! Apart from artichoke, anyone out there grown any of above??

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Grown Basil, without much success. It doesn't get enough sun and heat up here, it should be a lot better where you are.

Resin

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I grow globe artichokes, in my flower borders now, never tried the jerusalem ones, they always seem too knobbly and fiddly to deal with.

I've also grown some different basils, can't remember which ones, but I have to keep them in my greenhouse or sunlounge.

Citronella sounds intreguing.

I wondered what curry leaf was as one of my daughters boyfriends family were Indian, and they sent me down some to make currys with, I thought at first they were talking about Curry plant, the one that smelt like curry, but these leaves were bigger and more 'leaf' shaped.

Good luck with them.

Sue

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

You should have more success with your purchases in Spain than here in the UK. I agree that Globe artichokes are nice and easy almost anywhere, but most of the others are a bit too tender for my garden. The Mashua grew very slowly and then disappeared before I had chance to do anything with it, and ginger I grew in the greenhouse was a bit temperamental about warmth and water and struggled along for a few months before expiring. I have managed to keep some Stevia cuttings going over winter on the windowsill - they seem to like it quite wet.

I can imagine the meals you can cook with your selection and wish you every success.

I've still got Basil growing on the windowsill from last year's plants by taking cuttings as Dimitri suggested. They root so easily.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I have stevia growing the greenhouse i sowed last autumn.
Its easy enough but not tried eating him yet!

Mike

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Hi Biscombe

Long time no speak...The Sacred basil will do quite well down south. I grew it last year but not managed to get it to over winter. It is VERY tender. U still up for some Giant Aconcagua? Got the seeds this week. Let me no.

Lizzy

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

wooooooooo!!!! yes please, lost my seeds, none germinnated!! thanks chuck! want more neem???? hows things?? what are you sowing and more important what are you harvesting!??? great to hear from you x

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

I'll get on the case then!!!!

Well, so far not harvested any chillies (32 varieties this year)....they're so close though. Malabar Spinach....7 varieties of Toms...sweet potato....2 pumpkin varieties (Musque de Provence and one local and knobbly).... Musk Melon Prescott Fond Blanc....Celtuce.....Hyacinth bean...tomatillo..... cocona...... naranjilla........giant cape gooseberry.....elephant garlic....Sicana odorifera (Cassabanana...) Various Basils.....Eryngium foetidum (culantro)....Amaranthus.....Chia.....Aubergine (Turkish Orange) and (Gandia) Ta Biscombe!

All still to harvest....sooooo impatient!

Pulled up the cardoon to make way for some Yard Long beans. (anybody out there know the secret to making cardoon palatable?) They are beautiful but they have to earn their right to take up so much darned space!!!!

Still waiting germination of .....Decaisnea fargesii (blue Bean)....Aka Shiso....Miike Purple Giant Japanese Mustard....Aubergine (Long White Angel)

This is the first time in my life I have had a successful veg patch and what a fantastic thing it is - I used to garden in wet silt in the UK and now I am blessed with heavy chalk-laced clay but with a bit of attention it is the best soil anybody could wish for.

Running out of space - need to plan a second veg patch - and a second compost bin!!!! Don't we generate a lot of green matter!!!!

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Do your cardoons grow wild? dont like the taste either!!!! your garden sounds fantastic, you'll have to post some pics! I'm growing similar things to you, getting hot now the lettuce will start bolting all over the place soon!

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Actually the cardoons would grow wild here but the artichokes certainly do. They grow anywhere if you don't pull them out.

Will post some pics soon! What about you????????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.