grafting knives

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Would love to know what all you grafters are using for knives. I tried what I thought would be a very good sharp knife and I felt like I was sawing into my precious baby trees..

Baltimore, MD

I use a Victorinox grafting knife. I don't recommend using a knife not designed for grafting because grafting knives have a bevel on one side and completely flat on the other, this makes it possible to make very flat cuts in wood. They are also -handed, so if you are left-handed you will need to look for a place stocking left-handed knives. Many places sell them. I get my grafting supplies from Orchard Valley Supply because they also sell the parafilm grafting tape which I love.

To make a flat cut the idea is the flat side of the knife is always sitting on the wood surface you want to have a nice flat cut on. When you sharpen the knife, keep the bevel exactly as it is, don't try to sharpen at a different angle or you can ruin the knife. On the flat side you put the whole flat side down on the stone to sharpen it.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.