2007 Morning Glory Project

Houston, TX

I planted 208 JMG seeds a few days ago and is seeing life. This is just the beginning and I still have quite a few seeds to germinate. These seeds are from Japanese morning glory packs and I started them out in growing trays which has 16 cups each. I soaked them for about 8 hours in 90 % water, 5 % peroxide and 5% super thrive solution to germinate the seeds. So far so good.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

This is just the first wave.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

I'll start to germinate some of the rare seeds in a few days.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Looks like you got a running start! I love this time of the year! Is that a peat based starting mix? - Arlan

Houston, TX

Arlan,

I guess that's what it would be called in english. What I use is called 'tane tsuchi' and it's pre mixed in a 5 lb bag. It's for cutting and seeding.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

So far the seeds from the Japanese packs have sprouted. Only one tray of seeds 'Chocolate Rose Silk' that I got from ebay shows no activity as of yet. I'm thinking maybe I should not have soaked the Rose Silk seeds. Do you soak the home grown seeds anyone???

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

these are from Japanese packs.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

From Japanese packs.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I nick and Soak All My Seeds

Mesilla Park, NM

I nick and soak all my seeds also. Though, I have noticed that all my chocolates and Rose Silk (sowed three different varieties from three separate places, and, One completely died out, the others are so so... and Blue Silk is growing but,.... also so so. ,
they have been sort of stuggling. They may be more sensitive than the other MGs, they just don't look as healthy as the rest either.

All your babies look great.

A.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I usually soak most of mine...actually the japanese seeds that are >primaxed often have a very high germination rate if just watered well and placed in a very moist medium...but not all are primaxed...the primaxed seeds often look(!) like they've been primaxed...

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Ron,
I probably should know this, but don't,

What is primaxed? a coating of some type, but what? They do look shiny and also have an unusual tint to them.

A.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

The Primax process is not a coating...just the opposite...it's a patented process that uses a combination of acids and abrasion to make the seedcoat more permeable without drying the embryo out...Sakata owns the patent...but many other companies use the Primax process...

TTY,...

Ron

Mesilla Park, NM

Ron,
Oh, How interesting. I knew they were treated but did not know in what sense. Thank you for explaining. Is that what also gives the JMGs the appearance of them being a bigger seed or they are bigger seeds.
A.

Houston, TX

Hey thanks guys. I really want to get the rare JMG seeds off to a good start. OK so I`ll try germinating some of the other seeds that I got here from trading and some others that I got off ebay before I start germinating the more rare MG seeds. I`ll keep you guys posted and thanks for your info.

Houston, TX

Guess what , the Chocolate Rose Silk is sprouting. I can see the soil being push up so I took a peek and did see the cotyledons emerging. So round one of germination was a success. This picture is JMG Raiko. They were the first ones to say hello. I'll start round 2 of germination in a few days.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 8:01 PM

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

How does everyone fair when transplanted the annual type MG's when started in small pots? I usually start mine in the pot or ground location where I intend them to grow for the season. I have always been lead to believe they don't transplant well.

Houston, TX

Last year I used growing trays and transplanted the seedlings into 5 inch pots after they grew their 1st set of leaves. Once the vines started growing I transplanted them into 11 inch pots and some into the ground. If you don't disturb the roots you can transplant them with much success. That's the method to my madness and I'm sure other's have their way of transplanting them.

I used a spoon and scoop the plant and soil out very carefully when transplanting from the trays.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 11:41 PM

Houston, TX

day three and many new seedlings emerging. I'm not using any grow lights just natural light from the sun. They are being grown inside in a large room with 3 windows so thers's natural light during the day. Our weather is very much like Texas but less humidity. I water spray them in the early morning and before I go to bed around midnight.

Mesilla Park, NM

Here is one of your seeds that you sent me... Wild White

sowed it on 3-8-07, it germinated on 3-10-07 and this photo was taken on 3-30-07. I just put them into my DG Diary, if you get a chance take a look on the 3-30-07 date entries, lots of yours are in there, I lost Kikyosaki Ten Ten.. oh well.. There are some that I still need to take photos of.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Houston, TX

Gourd,

Those look great and they grew fast too. I'll grow some along with several other white variety. Wow your DG Diary is nice. Hey thanks for the germinating tips.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Speaking of transplanting...I made the mistake of not watering mine the day before I transplanted the four or five seedlings I had in 16 oz cups to each seedling having it's own cup. A lot of the little rootballs fell apart and exposed bare roots. I was sure I had killed them all. Miraculously they all survived and are growing like mad!

Joanne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Gourd is that ever a nice plant.

Joanne

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks MGJapan,
THanks Grow_Jo,

I only wish that I had started on this Diary years ago. The documentation is invaluable.
A.

Please, MGJ, what type of trellis do you use for each of the MGs? I am trying to visualize how you will grow out all these plants to flowering size, what a fantastic operation you have going!

Joseph

Houston, TX

Hey Joseph,

No I'm not at that point yet. These will all be transplanted in their own little growing pots first and some directly in the ground. I'll use all sizes and types of trellis once I see each one's growing habbit but that will not take place for a while. I'll keep you posted and show what kind I'll be using later on when things start taking shape. Thanks for the question.

Houston, TX

The Chocolate Rose Silk seeds are sprouting but very slowly. I now have 6 that's emerging from the soil. They may be hard to see in this picture. All the others seedlings are doing fine.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

Here's what some of the others look like. This weekend I will start round 2 of germination. Still I have a lot more seeds to germinate. I'll keep a list of what has germinated so far in my Dave's journal.

dee

Thumbnail by MGJapan

Do you have enough light? They look really leggy.

Houston, TX

I`m not using any grow lights and they are set up near a 7 ft wide window which lets in plenty of sunlight. They are 4 days old now and will be transplanted this weekend. Today is not sunny at all but I think they look OK. We`ll wait and see how things turn out.

dee

Houston, TX

Last night I transplanted the seedlings into 5 inch plastic cups. Total of 100 plants and the ones that were left over will be transplanted outside in the ground. This morning they all looked happy and took the transplant well.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

Round two of germination was started this morning. These mostly are from Japanese packs. My next round will be to germinate the very rare MG seeds.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Mesilla Park, NM

Wow, they look great for such tiny transplants... I usually start mine off in the size of those clear cups you have, then transplant them about three weeks later when they have three or four leaves on them, into 20oz cups... hopefully that will keep them for awhile, until they can go outside or into 3 gallon pots (or bigger)...

You will soon have a nursery..lol. lots of seeds there for your next round.. This is about the most fun I've ever had in my life... germinating seeds.

A.

Houston, TX

Yes, this project is a lot of fun for me and will be a great learning experience and for others to enjoy too. I haven't tried germinating any of the rare MG yet but when I'm finish with this round I'll be ready to tackle some.

These little babies were easy to deal with while transplanting. Did not lose any during the process but they were ready to be put into a deeper soil after 4 or 5 days.

The Chocolate Rose Silk were the only ones that were not transplanted. They are sprouting but at a much slower rate than the others.

Are you growing these just to see the blooms. If you're growing them for seed, how will you keep the compatible varieties from cross pollinating?

Houston, TX

The Rose Silk seedlings are slowly emerging from the soil. It's taking them a while to get started and I'm not sure if that's normal for them since it's my first time growing them. Better late than never.

dee

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Houston, TX

If you need to transplant your seedlings it can be done early after they have sprouted and are 3 inches or taller. You just have to do it very carefully and try not to disturb the roots. This is not the rule but is what I was able to do.

Budgielover,
To answer your question yes to both of them but also I hope this can be a reference for many of the Japanese species. Each plant will be grown separately in it's own pot. Some will be grown inside and some outside. Open and hand pollinating will be applied as this is a project and in the end it will have serve to explain many purposes.

I will also show different methods of using trellis, hand pollinating, fixing problems ect..

thanks for your question. TTYL

dee

This message was edited Apr 7, 2007 9:47 AM

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

are these on heat mats? or just in little pots to come up when they come up??

Houston, TX

Imzadi

No I'm not using heat mats heaters ect... Our weather here is very much like Houston, Tx.
I germinated 6 or more of each type so that I have a balance of each MG growing.
The growing room is an outer one that has 3 large windows for sunlight. I'm not using grow lights either. This current setup works for me but I know heat mats and grow lights are useful. thanks.

Houston, TX

The Chocolate Rose Silk have sprouted and they are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall. The stems are much thicker than any of the others JMG seedlings. One is showing some rotting on the cotyledons but the other are OK. It took them a while to get started but they look strong in their early stages.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2007 10:35 AM

Thumbnail by MGJapan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.