My Saturn Peach came - is it too early to plant?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have been waiting TWO years for this tree! But the last average frost date here is May 15th! I'm in 6b zone - what should I do with the tree? It doesn't have any leaves and the roots are in a plastic bag with wet straw. It is about 4' tall.

They are best planted when dormant so go ahead and plant that peach. Sure hope your ground isn't still frozen or it's not going to be too much fun digging the hole.

Oh thank you SOOOOOO much! It is a sunny day and I don't think the ground is frozen - so I'm going to go for it.

Start soaking your tree in water right now. Maybe tomorrow would be best to plant it. Probably a good idea to give it a good soaking but at least you can get the hole dug. When you are planting it, you might want to raise it a few inches over ground level. 2" should be fine. Mulch well and don't add fertilizer.

We've had some unseasonably warm weather and last weekend my shovel hit ice. I'll be thinking of you.

Oooo. I was so anxious to plant it, that I already did. I gave it a huge drink of compost tea and put it in a mound of humus, worm compost, compost and dirt. I put the excelsor back on top of the mound. I'm going out right now to add a layer of worm compost around it. I'm afraid I'm more exuberent than skilled at gardening. At least the ground wasn't frozen here and it is supposed to rain tomorrow afternoon.

You lucky devil. You got to start the season already by planting something and your ground isn't even frozen at all. I don't even have any plants delivered yet to go into the ground and you've already got one in. Good for you! The Peach should be fine.

Parts are frozen - but not the front yard where I built a planting mound last summer. When I went to dig worm compost off the deconstruction site I've been raiding for a year - the huge pile of worm eaten leaves had frozen spots! However I drove by the most beautiful large crocus and came back with a pail and shovel and gave a friend probably 300+ crocus bulbs for her lawn. Of course I snagged the daffodil and tulip bulbs for myself. The two blocks had the houses torn down about two years ago and I noticed that there are new boxes on the phone/power poles so I think that my worm field may be going away soon. I've salvaged plants, bulbs, bricks, blocks, stones, logs for planters and even a cast iron model T spring in addition to the worms and worm compost for my yard. Some of the bricks went into the new front walkway I had built last summer the rest will be edgings. I had enough firebricks to cover the edge of the garage foundation and keep the blackberries from trying to grow under the garage. I love recycling!
Again, thank you for your quick response - I was afraid that I couldn't plant the tree and it would end up dying.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.