Bulbs: Moving.....How Long Can I Keep Bulbs In Storage?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I may be moving and probably won't get a chance to restart my garden for another year and a half or so............so while reorganizing and cleaning up my beds for showing my house for sale, I went ahead and pulled up daffodils which are finished blooming, and soon my Amaryllis will be done as well.

So how long can I keep them in storage? Should they be in the fridge? It's pretty hot and humid here in the deep South, so the garage is pretty humid, and probably not a great place for storing bulbs.

I will cut off the green and just save the bulbs, is that correct?

Lu

Thumbnail by Ladyborg

Thumbnail by Ladyborg
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I think I'd let the green die back by itself, that's where the nutrients come from to feed the bulb. I'm planning on moving in November myself and have to do the same thing, but I plan on leaving the bulbs in-ground until their leaves die back and then lift them and put them in the fridge. I also may not have the time to replant them this next fall so any other advice would be welcome.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I posted the question on the Bulbs forum too and there was a helpful post, about dusting with fungicide: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/706579/

Hope that helps. Have a good move ;o) If you need any packing tips, I've moved so many times, I believe I have learned all of what NOT to do when packing.

Lu

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.