seeds too old? lifespane of seeds?

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

hello , as some of u know , i have been off of DG for a couple of years, and wow how things are comming back to me,.. BUT i dont recall if seeds have a lifespan? i have a tone of seeds i collected off of my flowers and dried i thing the summer/fall of 2004 i think!!! i may have even collected some in 2005... anyway they have been upstairs stored in my attic... will they sprout or does it depend on the plant it came from??? anyw info would be great! thanx
chrissy

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Some seeds have a very long lifespan (viability) such as water lotus (nelumbo) and some have a very short span (best to sow right away ). I would try the seed you have saved and see if any of it germinates - it won't hurt other than a little time on your end.

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

yeah i thinnk i will do that... see what come of them .. thanx for ur advice!
chrissy

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I use this site as a general guideline: http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

If your attic his hot, the seeds may be toast. Always store seeds in individual envelopes in a sealed jar in the fridge. Most seeds will keep several years by this method.
Good luck,
Mike

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

thanx mike, i will toss them then cuz my attic is like an oven! i live in southern cal. 6 miles from cabazon (desert) and 18 miles from palm springs... and it gets 120 easy here in the summer... so the attic i am sure gets hotter then that... i dont think i will waste my time with them! thanx again!!!
chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.