When to fertilize?

Madison, MS

This is my first year to start seeds. Now that they are coming up and I'm moving them into their larger containers I was wondering when I need to fertilize them? Thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I usually start fertilizing when they get their first true leaves (I use a very dilute fertilizer though, not the same strength I would use for full grown plants)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

There's a lot of opinions on this, but mine is....wait till you transplant to the garden. You don't want quick growth until you set them out...seedlings should develop a good root system before getting lots of leafy growth. If you must, use something that has a low nitrogen content and dilute it by at least 1/2.

edited to say ecrane and I were typing at the same time...and that is sound advice too...wait until at least that stage before giving them anything....if anything, err on the light side...you'll have better plants.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 7:05 PM

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I have pretty good luck if I feed them with a fertilizer specifically made for seedlings as soon as they get their first true leaves. The ratio is 6-12-6, so it is highest in Phosphorus for good root growth. I also use a weak solution.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good timing for this topic, I was just wondering about it myself...thanks!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I mist with a light kelp solution as soon as the plastic comes off the trays, and every few days thereafter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.