Spring landscapes

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Beni Fushigi along with some variegated hakone grass and ajuga. There a white flowering crabapple tree that's just beginning to flower. The beni one of the trees I moved last winter. I'm very pleased with the result.

Thumbnail by doss
Walhalla, SC

Very nice, I need to get one of those little guys... but it will probably have to be next year or later as I'm broke :(

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry that you are broke Matt. Just be sure to give it a lot of sun. It mildews in the shade pretty badly.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful! Right now, I love walking around outside & checking the progress of all the maples, the furthest along is aconitifolium, but they're all showing some buds. I don't think my hakonlea made it, but I have another small grass (don't remember what, but the variety name starts w/ an 'O'), planted in one of the pots that looks good. I love spring!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 9:21 PM

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Very nice vista!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll bet that your hakone grass made it thistle. I sure hope so. It's supposed to be pretty hardy - I'm reading down to zone 4 so the weather shouldn't have taken it.

I just had to trim my aconitifolium so the upward branches didn't take over again. Now if I can just get it not looking square.....

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So pretty, Doss!

I was thinking of you today Doss, as I drove home. You started me noticing Farfugiums. So today I took the big dip and bought 2. With such a name, how can I not??

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How can you not! They are some of the very best shade plants in the world. The gray and curly ones (cristata) are more slug resistant but the others are worth the snail bait that they require.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I bought a vivid deep raspberry one. I just could not walk away. LOL I hope it can take some sun for when it the sun hits it, it is amore.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They are supposed to take partial sun. You probably have Marie Britt Crawford. They just resent drying out.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You are so smart. Exactly correct as I recall. It is still in my car hiding out. LOL.

http://www.bobnz.co.nz/varieties/ligbri.htm

Though it seemed bigger than the one pictured here.

Suddenly I am into woodland plants. I wish I had some woods. I have been going nuts for trilliums and arisaema lately. And now these. HELP!!

Thumbnail by Kell
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, those trilliums are beautiful. I haven't grown them and didn't realize I could. Britt-Marie Crawford is supposed to get about 3 feet tall but mine aren't that big yet.

Walhalla, SC

There are several wild trilliums near my house, and the genetic variation is very interesting. They are mostly burgandy and some white(greenish), but there are a few crosses with quite an array of variations in color. I spent about an hour the other day looking at them, they are interesting.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They look fascinating. Shade gardens are so much fun.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I saw one on another thread that Kin shot and I fell in instant love. It is amazing!!

I took the plants my from the car this AM and put by the back gate. Of course as soon as Tom came home he went to the back gate to get the garbage cans. BUSTED! LOL. And I must admit I had quite a few plants back there waiting to be brought to the back. LOL. Oh dear. He said nothing though. I think he has given up.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Look at Kin's trillium. Look at those great leaves.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3321154

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Kell - I don't know where you found them in the nursery. I had to order most of mine mail order. Glad that your DH is "understanding". :-)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a photo of the crimson queen behind the pool. I love it this time of year.

Thumbnail by doss
Walhalla, SC

'Katsura' and 'shishigashira' side by side...quite a nice combination this time of year.

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

'Tsuma gaki' starting to show it's true colors.

Walhalla, SC

'Tamukeyama' coming out...maybe it will brighten up a bit this week.

Lovely photos, thanks for posting them!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very pretty foliage Matt and a nice combination.

Walhalla, SC

You guys should see the new tree that my boss at the nursery will be releasing in a few years (hopefully). I finally got to see it today and it is absolutely stunning. I kid you not the color right now is as bright as red azalea flowers. It puts 'beni maiko' and 'beni fushigi' to shame by a long shot.

Also, the summer foliage is unique in its pigmentation layering...but I won't go into details since its still on the 'down low' as they say.

Hopefully it will flower in the next couple of years so he can patent it and release it. Sorry no pics on this one per his request...you guys will just have to wait until it is ready (although a picture couldn't do it justice anyway). Look forward to it...I know I am.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OK Matt - we will wait. I bet that it's beautiful. Why does it have to flower to patent it?

Walhalla, SC

I'm not sure...that's just what he said. Perhaps it is a certain type of patent that requires this. I'm not really sure about all that law stuff.

I do know that they got screwed when they released the native, less invasive wisteria 'amethyst falls' without patenting it. Therefore I think he is being careful...and rightfully so. Of course they have released other things recently, and I believe he was patient enough to get the patents since then. If it was me, however, I would not have been able to wait...and I would end up never getting a dime for all the hard work put into it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that once the patents filed he can go and sell the plants - you know, patent pending.
Here's my new Ellen.. Not a great photo as the leaves aren't out fully and it's in the hosta garden. The astilbes are part way up but the hostas are just beginning.

Thumbnail by doss

That is a cute little tree, and I look forward to seeing photos of the new JM.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Villa Taranto. It's the first spring in the garden and I like it very much.

Thumbnail by doss
Walhalla, SC

Wow thats odd...my plants come out at different times down in S. Car. 'Villa taranto' is just starting to leaf out (without much color) along with my atrolineare (or possibly 'red pygmy'). Also my A. j.'aconitifolium' is next to last behind A. c. 'pacific fire' with only some budding. Everything else is at least mostly leafed out, although the colors haven't brightened up yet.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Villa Taranto is very strange isn't it the way it opens green and then turns red? It was such a nice surprise! I find that our plants are anywhere between 2-4 weeks earlier than other parts of the country for many things. The daffodils were at their best February 20th for instance. Aconitifolium is leafed out already. Ellan and Germaine's Gyration seem to be the latest here that I have anyway.

Here is Omureyama. I just got this one last year, so this is the first year I have seen it leaf out. The blossoms look like a bunch of cherries hanging off the ends of some of the branches.

Thumbnail by largosmom

My 'Sango Kaku' looks like it needs gloves on a chilly morning.

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Omureyama is really pretty. I haven't seen flowers anything like that. Sango Kaku is one of my favorites in the spring. I love the lime green color.

Walhalla, SC

That 'sango kaku' is looking much nice than any of the ones i've seen around here. I grafted the only one I have this spring so it is indoor green, but the ones at the nursery are much greener than that. However, my newly grafted 'fjellhiem' is starting to get a bit of 'katsura' look to the new growth. I think it may brighten up even more, but who knows with this weather :(

As for the 'omureyama', mine looks quite similar, it has quite a different spring appearance compared to many other leaves with all of the tiny silver hairs. Some of those flower bunches will have long petioles?, up to like 3 inches sometimes. This is my third year with 'omureyama', and it has looked a bit different each year (although it is still very small as it was just grafted when I got it like most of my trees). I can really start to see the long stems starting to form though, and mine is very symmetrical without any pruning. Quite unusual for a JM in my experience.

Walhalla, SC

My 'aka shigitatsu sawa':

I just love the leaves on these reticulated varieties.

Walhalla, SC

Sorry that last one was a bad image, try this one:

Walhalla, SC

Here's a decent pic of 'fjellhiem'...this plant should really be more popular being a dwarf version of 'sango kaku'. It must be the name :)

Walhalla, SC

My new 'higasayama' that my boss gave me for free :)
What a great guy.

Walhalla, SC

Good ol' reliable 'bloodgood':

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.