Do these look leggy?

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

These are cosmos seedlings I started on March 7th. They've been in the greenhouse, but up until the last few days it's been unseasonably warm. I've never done seed before - do these look leggy to you? Thanks for your opinion, I need all the help I can get.

Thumbnail by missy99912
(Zone 4a)

Sorry, but they do look leggy.

Can anything be done? Plant them deeper maybe?????

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Actually I don't think they look bad. How far away from the light are they? I usually keep the light right above the leaves but no touching. Cosmos are tall and wispy by nature, lower the light and give them more time.

Chris

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They're in the greenhouse, so distance from the light isn't a factor, right? :-)

Anyway, they look pretty much like the ones that sprout out in my garden from self-sown seeds, so I'd say they'll be just fine! When/if you up-pot them (or when you plant them out), you can plant them deeper than they're growing now to give them a little more stability. I seem to remember that cosmos stems will put out roots if the plant topples so that the stem makes contact with the ground, so I would guess that any part of the seedling's stem that gets buried will just make more roots (like tomato plants do).

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

"They're in the greenhouse, so distance from the light isn't a factor, right? :-)"

I guess that would depend on how bright the light is. Or if it is just light from the outside coming in. It's been a while since I grew cosmos and I direct sowed mine.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I started my Cosmos way too early one year, and I just planted them up to the top group of leaves. Biggest, healthiest Cosmos I had ever grown!

I planted some of them today, and I buried them up to the first set of leaves. So far they are looking good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.