starting impatiens ???

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi! I have just order impartien seeds - and I was wondering if anyone has experience germinating and growing this to plant in their gardens. I have no special equipment - but I do have a very large veranda and I have been taking seedlings outside during the warmer days and returning them inside when the nights are cold. I understand they need high humidity to germinate.

thanks for your help.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Just started mine last weekend - I expect babies by next weekend (14 days). I put them in a 72 cell flat with a clear plastic cover (humidity dome). I put them on the surface of the growing medium, put the dome on, and put them under lights. If you don't have a dome, you can probably seal the flats in a plastic bag but check every day for seedlings.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Seandr,

A sweet gal from here at Dave's sent me some impatiens seed and I really didn't have the best of luck with them. I think she sent me 20 seeds and I have 4 seedlings living now. Only 6 of them germinated then I lost 2 at transplant. This is my first year with them though, and on the up-side my 4 babies look really good.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I started impatiens about 7-10 days ago and they all germinated nicely. I used a seed-starting medium which I ordered from Gardener's Supply, barely pressed the seeds into the medium, watered from below, put a dome on top of the tray, and set it out on the windowsill. It was pretty humid in there - I thought at times too much so - but the seeds were very happy in those conditions, for they all came up.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Whoa . . . it sounds like I have started kind of late . . . oh well. Thanks for you ideas. I will certainly do as you recommend. :-)

Seandor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.