I DID IT!!! I took the "leap of faith"!

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

Well, I spent this Sunday afternoon taking the leap. I did my very first winter sowing. Here's what I did today:

Herbs: thyme, orgeano, basil, parlesy, rosemary & sage
Flowers: purple cone flower, achillea, rudbekia hirta, cleome
Ornamental grass: Blue Fescue
Vegetables: San Marzano tomatoe, broccoli, brussel sprouts and lettuce. Waiting for my cucumber seeds, should be coming in this week.

I keep looking out the window at them like a very nervous new mother! This is exciting. I did up an excel database to keep track of what I sowed, when and then I'll enter the germination date when that happens. I have the containers in the front against the house that only gets morning sun.

Now to exercise some patience, which is not one of my virtures!!!!!

Carol

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah, Carol! Waiting is the hardest part of the process!! :~)

Seward, NE

Congratulations! This is my first year winter sowing too (I started in January, planted some more in Feb. and a last few in early March). So far I have 48% germination (65 containers). I'm in awe of this process... DH was very pessimistic and still is... we could still get a frost I suppose and kill everything, but for now I'm reveling in success. Have patience, you'll be amazed.

Di

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

OK...it hasn't even been 24 hours yet and already I'm second guessing myself!!!! I'm wondering if I should move the flats to a bit more sun? I have them in the front of my house along the garage foundation. Even though it faces the east, it doesn't get direct sun. If I move the flats to ther other side of the walkway, there they would get direct sun. Should I move them or should I just keep then right where they are?

Please help me!!!
Carol

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Don't make it to difficult - it's supposed to be easy. It depends on where you live. I live in a very dry climate and have "super" sun so I keep my containers in the shade until I actually plant them out. But not under the eaves as I want them to get water. When May rolls around I start watering them (because the temps have increased). My seedlings would shrivel if I kept them in direct sun, even in the middle of winter. But as I said, it may be different in your area since your area has a lot more humidity.

Peachkeen, don't worry too much. I have seedlings come up, be snowed upon , had frosts and they have done fine! They end up being very hardy.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Peachykeen: Frost won't hurt them, but drying out will.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.