how long for Christmas palms to germinate?

Palmetto, FL

I have a couple of hundred seeds collected from my son's Christmas palms and have been trying patiently to germinate them since January. The soak test weeded out the floaters so I think most are viable. Never having done this before, I'm trying two different ways to germinate: 1) Zip lock bags in an insulated styrofoam cooler rigged with two nightlights for heat; 2) a bunch were simply buried -- not deep-- outside under a tree where it is somewhat shady. Originally, I soaked some in Progibb (gibberellin acid for two days). So far: nothing's happening!
And, while we're on the subject of germinating: I also have about 1,000 zamia fur. (cardboard palm) that I'm trying to wake up. These came from two plants in my yard. All were soaked in pectinase enzyme to remove the pulp. Some are bagged in the above mentioned heated cooler; others have been sown in germinating mix, then covered with glass and kept outside in the shade. How long will these take?????
The cardboard palms come up by themselves all over the yard. I've dug and potted about 100 seedlings.
Sure would like to grow them on purpose, though.
Any info on how long I must be patient ... and/or suggestions to speed things up would be greatly appreciated.
I live in Palmetto FL, which is on the Gulf Coast in the Sarasota area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.