My first BIG design commission- I'm scared!

West Jordan, UT

I have a meeting next Wednesday to meet with a company who does landscape maintenance for the super-wealthy in our area. They have a client who has a 2 acre estate and a big wedding for one of their kids this spring. They want the whole estate rejuvenated and planted for the event. The company I'm meeting with will plant everything but they aren't designers and they don't know what to plant- which is why they are interested in meeting with me. They have told me that the husband basically pulled them aside and said money was no object- make it as perfect as his wife wants it to be for their child. So, I'm not designing the whole estate from scratch but rather redoing what's there to make the subtle, showy. Perhaps a few new garden structures. I guess it depends on what's existing.

I'm feeling SO intimidated! I have top-notch plantsmanship but it still scares the bejebbies out of me. The areas I'm weaker in (construction details) wouldn't really come into play so much on this project which is perfect. I certainly never expected something like this to come my way so soon. My boss will also be involved and he's worked with this type of thing for years (long enough to not be all that impressed by the wealth) but I'm afraid I'll go there wide-eyed and gawking! We may be handed a 'blank check' to create the kind of landscape we'd all want if money were no object. I'm scared to death but very excited.

Advice, people. I need lots of advice. I'm so scared of getting total brain freeze! I think part of the intimidation factor is that this is sort of my 'big chance' to do something wonderful- it's the perfect scenario for using my talents and I'm worried about doing less than the very best I'm capable of. I just don't want to fall short. I suppose I'm worrying in advance since we haven't got the job yet, but what if?

This thread has 22 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!