New introductions for 2007

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm just a bit excited that I'll be introducing my very first Tall Bearded iris introductions this year. It's been a long time coming. Nola's Iris Gardens should be introducing these 6 for me this spring. (If all goes well) Their website is not updated yet, but should be by the end of March or so.

"Elegant Dancer" - it has a green cast onto the yellow self AND strong lemon fragrance to it.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Sedona Sunset" - is a rebloomer . It blooms in the spring, the fall, and in the winter here.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Making a Splash" - Falls have a triangular splash in a lighter shade of purple (which doesn't show up all too well in this photo). Makes a nice clump.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Salt and Pepper" - An unusual shoulder speckled plicata with lovely form! It has purple and brown speckles on it's shoulders with very pale lavender plicata edging on it's falls.

Upclose photo:

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Salt and Pepper" again - from a distance........for a better look at the form.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Your Highness" - a "rimmed luminata plicata". Tall and powerful, as well as vigorous. Not a very good photo of it.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lastly,
"Grand Canyon Gold" - A Novelty Iris - Terminal bud has the 4-4-4 factor (4 standards, 4 beards, 4 falls, 4 style arms) and is perfectly balanced. The top bud only has the 4-4-4 factor and is consistent/dependable (on 75-80% of all stalks) year after year, after year. No fluke of nature here. It's a genetic trait!

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is viewing a partial clump from the top - all 4-4-4's:
"Grand Canyon Gold" - a ruffled and vigorous grower! Unusual coloring - as it gets warmer/hotter the color on the falls becomes richer and darker in color. If it is cooler - - the color lightens up on the falls.

Any comments on these 6? Which one is your favorite?

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Margiempv,
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your 2007 intros. I am partial to Grand Canyon Gold. Of coarse they are all beautiful.
Deb

Philadelphia, PA

Hi Margie
I'm just waiting for the store to open. My three favorites are Elegant Dancer, Salt and Pepper, and Sedona Sunset. They all look great, wish I had more room

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Congratulations Margie! I've been waiting for them to become available also. I even saved part of my iris buying budget for them. :)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Margie,

If I'm not mistaken, any new Iris introductions are to
be fully tested in my gardens before release. Please
check the address files and send them to me promptly.

Heh heh. Just kidding. I wish!
My gosh, those are stunning! Congrats to you!

Karen Marie

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice job there Margie! Those kind of Iris obviously like Arizona conditions...I'm impressed. =)

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ooo Congrats these are lovely iris.

My favorite is Salt & Pepper and I like the color and form of Elegant Dancer. Your Highness is interesting and I would definitely like to see more pictures of it.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

very nice!! making a splash and grand canyon gold wonderful!!!!!

Gloria

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

I love your Sedona Sunset!!! My next favorites are your stunning Grand Canyon Gold and Elegant Dancer. These are all beautiful. What an accomplishment. Someday I hope to be introducing some of mine - Last year was my first for hybridizing irises. I love it!!!

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

CONGRATS!!!! Those are beautiful......I especially like the Elegant Dancer and Making a Splash.

Lebanon, OR

Margie mine would have to be Making a Splash to make a cross with one of mine that everything I cross with it gets more branching and more buds...and making a cross from MAS to mine would give mine more color...as I do like the color, but show + buds of 9-13 and 4 way even spaced branching.

Good Work

Denise

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow........... Thank you everyone. :-)

Karen Marie, I have some seedlings and soon to be introductions in Oklahoma City, OK. for this upcoming AIS national convention. They are all plicatas. After the convention is over, (late summer or fall) the region will be auctioning off the newly named ones...............which quite possibly will be introduced next year or the year after. Auction prices are really a great way to purchase new irises.................... one can get usually get them fairly cheap. Here is the info on the 2007 iris convention.
http://www.irises.org/2007convention.htm

Cathy, good luck with your hybridizing..........do make sure to share your seedling photos with us. I'd be really interested in seeing them. :-)

~Margie

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Margie, Wow ! Hard to beat Grand Canyon Gold, got to be the prettiest I 've seen. Let's see, I'm not that far from Az, is your yard gated..? Just kidding, but I would love to have one.

Margie, Congratulations! They're all great, but 'Making A Splash' is WOW! I especially like the contrasting beards, lighter fall edges and abundant ruffles. Great work!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Margie, those are beautiful. Congrats!

I love tall anything, how tall is Your Highness?

I love them all.

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm impressed. Very nice intros!!! I'll be sure to look them up.
Thanks, Laura

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you for all of your encouraging and kind words. You all are just so kind.

Denise, "you have d-mail". :-)

Polly, "Your Highness" is 40 - 41" tall. 8 - 9 buds. Here is another photo of it - - Just barely opening up.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Margie I have to agree Making A Splash is wonderful
the rest are not bad either but that one Just grabbed me
Thanks for sharing them all
Your Highness is also very lovely they all are
Anita

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I love Your Highness. I will be looking for it, and some of the others also. Please let us know when the web page is up. Thanks.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Margie - congratulations! You have done a beautiful job! I love Sedona Sunset and Making a Splash!

audrey

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Margie,
I ** love ** your introductions. It is wonderful to see someone from DG beginning to make real introductions. My favorites? Hard to say, but I would say Grand Canyon Gold, Salt and Pepper and Sedona Sunset, but on the other hand -- I have a horrible time chosing among Iris of any kind. My favorites could be the other three by tomorrow. They are all beautiful. And congratulations on your success.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Congratulations on a task well done. My favorites are Elegant Dancer, Sedona, & Grand Canyon. I wonder tho if they could make the transitition from AZ to central MO. I've ordered items from CA and WA and none of them lived. Our soil is black gumbo which doesn't drain well and gets hard as rocks when dry.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

* Polly, sure I'll be sure to let everyone know when the web page is up.

**** Leaflady,
Possibly one of the ways to tell is if you grew any of their parents............................and if so - - did they grow well for you?

"Elegant Dancer" - - parentage - World Premier x Ecstatic Echo
"Sedona Sunset" - - parentage - Vanity x Chief Hematite (both are reblooming parents)
"Grand Canyon Gold - - parentage - (Sapphire Hills x Pencil Sketch) x Flights of Fancy.

7 parents are listed here..................have you grown any of these?

~Margie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love them all but Salt and Pepper has to be my favorite. Congratulations, Margie. I think that Grand Canyon Gold is going to be an event though. I've never heard of an iris with consistently 4 falls.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

What a beautiful accomplishment.....enjoy it! I totally 'second' doss's comment--4 falls.....gardeners will flip for it. Salt and Pepper is absolutely elegant!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Oh Margie! Beee yooooo teeeeee fullllll!

I'm going to have to learn how to do that. Awesome job!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

They're beautiful! Congratulations!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you for your encouraging words.........

Dorothie and Mudgirl, .............not only does it consistently have 4 falls, but consistently has 4 standards, 4 style arms, and 4 beards too. Perfectly balanced! Now - - do realize this is on the terminal bud (top bud) only. Not every single bloom on the stalk. there is an IB that does that too..it's called "Season Ticket".

Weegie............. just let me know when you are ready and I'll answer all your questions. That goes for anyone of you!!!

And Karen........thank you. :-)

~Margie

l

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

They are all beautiful but I think I need Elegant Dancer...

Philadelphia, PA

Margie's new intros just hit the website at Nola's. I just ordered three of them. If anyone is looking for them.......www.walking-p-bar.com/shopsite/

Now I'll have to order Anita's @ Snowpeake and I should be set :-)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Season Ticket. It didn't do very well in my garden but I'll bet that it's too warm for it here.

Thumbnail by doss
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Margie,

Congratulations on your beautiful registrations! I have got to get some for my garden!!

MollyD

Marshall, TX

Margie, I want a Grand Canyon Gold. Are they being offered yet--and can you post a link to the supplier?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.