Giant Hardy Hibiscus

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Check out this website with GREAT pictures!
http://www.pclink.com/harley/hibiscus.htm

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Holy Cow! Those are some big hibiscus! Maybe I should feed mine. LOL I would love to get a hold of the dark pink and red ones. I have the white and pale pink but they sure haven't grown that large!
Thanks for the site GL.
Michele

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Amazing! I had no idea they could get so huge! They look like they would be hardy here in my area and would sure be show stoppers! Wonder why they are never available in the nurseries here!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Zany when you do find them, they are usually pricey. I have seen small pkgs of roots at Walmart for about six bucks. If you want to try from seed, I can send pink or white later in the season. Mine are still flowering.
Michele
Ps. If anyone has other colors, I would definately be interested.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i should have lots of seeds this fall-red.pink n white!
they are really easy to start from seeds!!!
they are a must for every garden! i will save n lable by colors this year
my kopper kings-are spoken for-but should have plenty of the others!!!
dori
p.s. my puter is down-so i cant get emails yet!!!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Dori, I would be very interested in some of your seeds when you have them ready.

thanks/pebble

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Wow!! Those are HUGE!! I have hardy hibiscus, but they don't get that big.
Cala

Ottawa, IL(Zone 5a)

I have seen them in several gardens here in Illinois. They are truly winter hardy and as gorgeous as the pictures. I will post a location where you can get them. They were advertised last spring at 6 plants for $2.95 in this catalog. I can't remember the name of it right now but I will get it by Monday - I will have to go through my catalog collection to find it. My mother (who is 89) saw them and fell in love with them. It took me a year to find a source. Unfortunately it was too late to get any this year. I am going to get a half dozen and plant them where she can see them out the window. She is the one who got me into gardening, Now I and my sisters are taking care of her garden - under very sharp supervision still! LOL
Jack

Nashville, TN

I have these hardy hibiscus and they do get as large as the picture. The seed pods are maturing now and they should be ready in a few weeks. If any one would like to try planting seeds, let me know and I will be glad to send. My plants came from my grandmother's garden over 30 years ago. They really are hardy, coming up from roots every year growing to 7 to 10 feet tall. They are red!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Daisydo, I would definitely be interested. Can they get by with part shade and would they flower the first year from seed?

Nashville, TN

I'm really not sure about blooming the first year from seed.
It could be that they do, since they come up from the ground every year. I have some in full sun and some in part shade even in mostly shade. The full sun is the best for heighth but they do almost as well in the shady conditions.
They are very hardy, and tolerate some drought. As soon as the pods mature, I will be glad to send you some!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Daisydo, that's sweet. When they're ready, let me know and I'll let you know what kind of seeds I've got kicking around here.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Mine grew from seed and are now in full bloom, all in the first year. The blooms are huge and plants are 6 to 7 feet tall. I have many in pots, and the ones in full sun are taller and have more blooms then the ones under the canopied part of the patio. John

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

All very encouraging.

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 6B)

Daisydo they sound beautiful. Would I be able to ge a few seeds for SASE? If that is okay pls e-mail me yr address.

SandyR

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If you kids with red ones would like to trade for pink, white or something else, please E me. I would love some red. :)
Thanks,
Michele

Ottawa, IL(Zone 5a)

These were available from Kelly Nurseries this spring at 6 plants for $2.95 as I said. I am sure they will be again next spring.
Jack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.