Ripe Peaches?

Porter, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm a newbie at peach trees and I've tried to do as much research as possible. But sometimes I just can't get a definitive answer.

Is there a general length of time for peaches to ripen? Is it dependant on when the fruit set or is it solely based on variety?

For example I have a tree that already has some nice sized fruit on it, about as big as walnuts. I *think* I read somewhere that it's approx. 70 days from blossom to harvest but I have no idea where I came on that info. If it's correct then I put ripening time about mid May for this tree. However I've also read that this variety usually ripens in July.

I also have another tree that is supposed to ripen earlier, about mid June. It bloomed later and also has fruit (fairly small right now). If the June ripening date is correct for this tree that would put it within that 70 day blossom to harvest time frame.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Climate and cultivar determine the ripening time, but I never time them out from varios time points, Sort of like the watched pot never boils. As a general rule, the late ripening cultivars bloom first and the early ripening cultivars bloom last. That caught my attention, because I was trying to avoid losses from late frosts and the early ripening varies were the ones to come through in a frost year. usually a nursery will give ripening dates for thier location, so your June ripening peach in Z-6-7 may very well ripen in May in your locality. and the July peach in June.

Porter, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Farmerdil. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Around here the blossom to harvest runs from 90 to 130 days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.