Containers, ready for planting!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Garden6, looking longingly again at your blue pots... they REALLY look good. The shinier blue one - did you put a top coat on that or is that just how it came out? Are the paler ones light periwinkle blue, or are they gray? Hats off - oh, I'm not wearing a hat, I'm inside waiting for our latest killer storm.

xxxx, Carrie

Thanks Carrie! I used a waterbased satin varnish for the grey pots and a waterbased gloss varnish for the blue pot. I actually blended white, black and stoneware blue acrylic paints to paint the blue grey pots to complement the colors of the house trim..... I'm inside as well, would rather be outside playing and painting more plastic pots!.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh man, I dreamed about painting containers blue last night.

xxxx, Carrie

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

haha Carrie! At least you didn't dream about Hot Wheels like I did! Can you tell I have 3 boys? Tamara

Tamara~ LOL, how about gluing Hot Wheels onto the containers with a painted road and traffic signs...they would love it!

Carrie~ I think you need to paint some BLUE pots! ;0)

This message was edited Apr 15, 2007 10:01 AM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, here is the terra cotta pot I got last summer from Ikea and the blue paint I artfully splashed on it. Then next to it is a matching (but bigger and one presumes, better) pot I got from Ikea when I last went there, this winter I guess. I'd like them to "match" but I don't think I have enough of the periwinkle to make it match exactly perfectly.

See picture:

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Now here's old and new.

Should I paint the new pot at all? (I never dream about terra cotta pots...)
Should I paint the new pot a different color blue?
Should I paint the new pot a different color blue and drizzle the periwinkle blue on top?

xxxx, Carrie

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

mjfulgham, the sander would do the trick to rough up the surface. This is all an experiment for me this year and only time will tell if the primer helps with the paint chipping off over the course of the summer. I just figure if I'm going to spend all this time painting, one more coat of paint can only help?

Carrie, LOL - paint away - that blue is really pretty :) Experimenting with a couple of plastic trash cans I picked up at Walmart the other day - trying for a "patina" look - will post my results when I finish them.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I got some cans of different colors of blue, but spray paint. Was that wise or did I goof? There's no way I can spray paint outside today. But it seems like less clean-up to do it outside.

xx, Carrie

Hmm Carrie... what shades of blue are they and surely they complement the dream?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, of course... Like a grayer periwinkle and a royal blue. And some hi gloss polyurethane spray.

xxxx, Carrie

Sounds gorgeous!

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

My birdbath cracked up from the long cold winter up here in the north..This is what I did with it!

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Wax begonias in case you wondered

Aged~ very lovely, and heathy, beautiful begonias!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, I painted some pots... I don't have the camera cord, but I did take pictures. Just wait.

xxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, here they are. Clearly not quite done, but my fingers are all blue!

I "decided" to use the crud attached to the terracotta pots as patina or texturize because I was too lazy to take the time to wash it off and in too much of a hurry to let them dry afterward! So I seized the moment and started spraying!

Madison, MS

Carrie, they look really great - are you going to put a primer on them?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Excellent! Is that just one coat of spray paint or did you put on primer first? Whatever that "crud" was it worked very well.

Madison, MS

Sorry, I meant a sealer!!! - I'm a little crazy this morning!! LOL!

The blue is just a sealer? It's fantastic as it is. Please give us the name of the product!

Love the vibrancy of the blue pots! Do share the name of the product.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

ok. The pale blue is a matte spray paint (2 coats) w/ 1 coat of clear gloss on unprimed terra cotta "cruddy" pots.

The royal blue (barely clinging to "cruddy" plastic is a high gloss royal blue.

xxx, C

Thanks, Carrie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.