Worms?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings Wise Ones!

Does anyone know anything about adding worms to their gardens? Is that something that's a good idea?

What kind for this area and where do you get them? When?

Blessing on your garden,
Elf

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Worms are great for your garden... chances are they are already there. If you're adding compost or other organic material to your garden that's about all you can do to encourage worms. I don't think you need to buy any or get them from somewhere else, but you can get them in bait and tackle shops or convenience stores where people fish. There are some worm ranchers / vermicomposters in the soil and composting forum who can tell you more about them.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

personally, I think you could take the money set aside to buy worms, and just buy organic matter and the worms will come to you~~~~~~or just start composting, or get manure..........worms happen! and if you have really barren soil with nothing for them to eat they wouldn't stay anyway.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally's right. Don't waste money on worms. If you compost they will come!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Agree agree agree! I had a hugh shortage of worms on my property, I started composting, mulching and making new flower beds, now there are worms in every shovel full of dirt.

Worms tell me if the soil is good, no worms more compost!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you, all!!

Sounds like good advice!

Elf

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I work at a WM in sporting goods and we sell tubs of 2 dozen nightcrawlers for $2.88 each. I have a guy who checks with me every so often and I'll sell him any damaged tubs (lid cracked etc) for $1 and he puts them in his garden. I don't know if they are just as good as worms but he's happy with them.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Worms Happen! LOL!! Cover an area with a layer of newspaper (about 8 layers thick) and top it with a layer of mulch. Check back in a month and you will be surprised how many worms you will have!

- Brent

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I always find a bunch beneath any large, heck even not so large containers that I just have sitting on the ground around the flower beds.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I couldn't agree more with all of the above comments. My rock hard, lifeless, clay real estate of 3 years ago is now teeming with 'wildlife' thanks to regular topdressing with compost (mainly leaf mould, horse manure and grass clippings). I can't dig a hole without seeing lots of worms. The robins love my yard and garden.

Note: I do not use synthetic pesticides. I consider myself an 'organic' gardener, so I'm not sure how that affects the wormies, if at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.