OT (Kinda) Navigating Plant Files.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm pretty new to Dave's and still learning my way around. I'm trying to navigate the Plant Files section and could use a little help. Is there a way to limit my search to seedlings? Or even find seedlings for that matter? As you might have guessed I have some mislabled containers that I'm trying to ID. (And no, they aren't winter-sowed. Grrrrr. I've been lurking daily, reading about all the sprouts you guys are seeing....just waiting to chime in....but alas my time hasn't come.)

Any responses greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
La

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Lala Jane! I've been thinking the same things. There is no way to search only seedlings in Plantfiles. The only way to find pictures of seedlings is if someone has posted pictures of seedlings for the plant you're looking up. While everybody likes pretty pictures of flowers, they only have so much practical value for identifying a plant! Some plants only bloom a few weeks out of the year, and it can be really hard to identify a plant when the flower is a distant memory...or hasn't appeared yet.

I started a thread in the bulb forum last fall in an attempt to encourage folks to take pictures of their bulbs before they were planted, so the next summer when you run accross that mystery bulb, there might be a way to figure out what it is...the same thing goes for seedlings, and seeds. Some generous, forward thinking souls have been doing this for years. If you use plantfiles a lot, their names are familiar: Poppysue, Melody, Weezingreens, Palmbob, and lots of others. Some people have put in hundreds. It's a big help to see what the seeds and seedlings look like. Even one picture helps!

I've put in a few... I admit that I haven't put any seed pictures in, though. My camera doesn't do close-ups very well, but if somebody wants to know what an Ipheion bulb looks like, it's in there. National Geographic hasn't called asking for a copy, but it works. They don't have to be great pictures... but the quality of pictures taken by these new digital cameras is amazing.
And it's easy to post a picture in plant files! If the plant is already in there, it's no harder than posting on a thread.

I'd like to encourage everyone to at least consider adding seedling pictures to plantfiles... pretty please? Haha! If we all did a few it would make a huge difference. And once there's a good number in there, maybe we can ask Dave for a seed and / or seedling search feature, or just a set of pages with just those to look through... who knows?
Maybe we could try that now? It can't hurt to ask, but who knows what's involved technically.
Sorry for the rant! :)
Mike

Here's a couple sites with seedling pictures, there's probably more:

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Seedling_Photo_Gallery.html

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
I'd like to encourage everyone to at least consider adding seedling pictures to PlantFiles... pretty please?

Mike, I was planning on doing that this year... because, me being a newbie to all of this, i know it would help me too. I also took pics of my seeds that I plan on posting -- if i ever get time. But as you know all to well, getting those close-ups isn't always easy.

Terese

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Mike:

Excellent points with regards to encouraging everyone to consider adding seed/seedling pictures to PlantFiles!!!! I need to make a mental note to myself to remember to do this as well. Thank you for reminding me!!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I discovered the Seed Sight last fall Claypa and practically lived there for a few weeks. The biggest share of everything I planted this year came from seed I saved myself, and that sight was a goldmine for me. Doesn't it figure? I think the only 2 not pictured there are the ones I'm looking for (creeping thyme and gazania). I'll check out wintersown.org next and see what I can find. Thank you!

I just got a digital for Christmas this year, but have yet to figure out all the bells and whistles. I fully intend to take seedling pictures, but I guess I better get moving or my pictures will be more the "pretty flower" type than the ones we're looking for.

Thanks all. I'll be back soon (hopefully) when I can say "Me too! Me too! I have sprouts too!" LOL

La

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I agree with the seedling pictures. I have also recommended that people upload pictures of more than just flower close ups. I like to see full pictures of plants even when they are not in bloom and I also like winter time pictures of deciduous shrubs. I understand that a book or catalog only has room for one or two pictures but there is no excuse with Plant Files.

BTW, I used to just go to Plant Files for the pictures and comments, but in the past couple years it really has matured as a quality site for all general plant information.

- Brent

This message was edited Mar 21, 2007 12:36 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

one thing I am having troubles with in entering items in PlantFiles... I don't know what to put into all those boxes.
I do not know the technical terms for many of the plants.... is all that necessary for adding to PlantFiles?

any assistance would be great.

Terese

Here's a lnk to the Plantfiles 'How-to' Forum:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/plantfiles/all/

Adding a picture or a comment is pretty simple...entering a new species or cultivar is more involved. What are you trying to enter, or are you having trouble searching for a plant? It is a little tricky if you don't know the exact name. You can do a 'generalized search' which is a lot simpler if you don't know the exact name, or if you want to look at all the Echinaceas for example, to find a particular one.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Mike,

that link didnt work....well, it took me somewhere, but I was unable to find the How-to forum.

I think i was going to add a photo -- I think it was of mammoth sunflower
but with all the species, cultivar, families, etc.... i got confused as to what to type in.

I've been able to find things pretty easily though.

Terese

see if it works this time..... I think this is it: nope, can't link to the plant files how-to forum, I guess because the pf name is in the link and it throws it off somehow. Anyway...

If the plant's already listed, it's just a matter of clicking 'upload an image of this plant' and clicking browse images like for a regular post. And, if the plant's already listed, there is only so much info you can add, like a synonym or info that wasn't added when the plant was. In that case it will say,'Unknown, tell us'. You kind of have to know for sure what plant you're adding by name, I guess... and spelling counts, which can be tricky!

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 8:22 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I often use a 2-step approach when I want to find a PF entry... In your example, you could first type "sunflower" into the common name (first search field). Scanning down the resulting list, you'd probably figure out pretty quickly that similar sunflowers seemed to be Helianthus annuus. Back up, and add those genus (Helianthus) and species (annuus) names to your search, and put "Mammoth" in the cultivar field. Now your search will find your Mammoth Sunflower!

If it's already in PF, there's no need to add a new entry... just click on the links to add pictures, comments, etc.

If it's not in PF, you'll have to use the "add a new plant" link. You do need family, genus, and species names to do this, but you should be able to search under the common name and figure out where your cultivar belongs.

HTH!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok...makes sence. I'll get it figured out with your tips.

terese

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.