Is it too late for zone 6?

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

I'm really intrigued by the WS concept. I just received some seeds yesterday (tomoatoe, broccoli, brussel sprouts and lettuce). Is it too late to attempt WS these seeds? I tried growing herbs last year from seed indoors but lost EVERYTHING to damping off. Had to go buy plants instead.

Am I too late to jump on the WS bandwagon for zone 6?

Carol

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

No, you're not too late. Anything that doesn't need long periods of cold strat will work just fine now. The seeds you listed can be sown now --- get them out there!

PV

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

As long as you need a light weight jacket in the evenings, winter/spring sown seeds will be fine in zone 6. Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts & Lettuce are all cold weather veggies, so they'll germinate quickly. Tomatos are warm weather veggies and will take a bit longer to germinate, but they will be very hardy and will be ready to plant out in your garden. No need to harden them off either because Mother Nature as already done that for you. They may be a bit smaller (depending on the variety) than store bought ones, but they'll catch up quickly. If you live in an area with a short growing season during the Summer, pick tomato varieties that are adapted to those areas.

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

This is great!!!! Guess what I'm doing this weekend?!?!?! I can't tell you how disheartened I was last year when I lost everything to damping off. I almost gave up gardening all together! But gardening is my therapy and with my stressful job, I need as much therapy I can get. This will give me the incentive to grab some more seeds.

You can now see me dancing in the streets! Hallejulia!!!!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Carol,

I have zillions of flower and a few veggie seeds I won't use. If you want some, send me a self-addressed stamped bubble envelope (SASBE). I have marigolds and melons, many types of daturas and many fresh, member-harvested seed. Lots of dianthus! I'm a WS newbie too, and since winter didn't start until January, I'm still going strong. But I'm only using a few of each seed, so I have lots of leftovers.

xxx, Carrie

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

Carrie:
That is so sweet of you, thanks so much, but this year we are going to concentrate more on a vegetable garden and get that established. We have got the worst soil ever so I'm going to have to work with some lasagna gardening to get flower beds built up. And then next year I can go hog wild with flowers.

Keep me posted on well your WS stuff is going. I'll keep you posted on my stuff as well.

Thanks again,
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.