Need help with placement of convolvulus

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Is Convolvulus a type of morning glory? I sowed some of the cultivar 'Blue Enchantment' and don't know where to plant it in my beds. I need to know if it climbs or spreads. I don't see where plantfiles mentions if it does. Does anyone have any advise for me?
Thank you,

Deborah♥

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure where it fits in family wise with the morning glories, it is a different genus for sure. Also called bush type morning glory.

I grew the Enchantment mix in a pot last year. Stayed about a foot tall - maybe it will be a bit taller in the ground. It doesn't climb, spread? - well, about as much as a full size zinnia or marigold I would say.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Deb,
When you're in PlantFiles, type Convolvulus in the Genus line and it will pop up a number of different morning glories. (I'm no morning glory expert, but I just started a bunch of them and some of them are convolvulus and others are ipomoea).

Joanne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Also...if you type "Blue Enchantment" in the cultivar line, info on that morning glory also pops up.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Bigcityal, if it grows up at a foot tall or even a little taller, that helps me alot in de4ciding where to plant it. I really didn't need a spreader or climber in the particular bed I was hoping for..
Thanks too, Joanne, for the tip on getting around in plantfiles. I had only been use to keying a word in the common name line.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Your welcome. I have grown plenty of regular morning glories and although I love the flowers - they reseed like crazy and are a lot of work to clean the vines off every year. I have Enchantment Mix again for this year and the package says 14" high and 15" wide.

I'll post this pic for the 50th time, it was one of my favorites from last year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Bigcityal, how many plants do you think would look good together? I have about ten seedlings. Do they branch or are there only one bloom stem?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I cram mine together, but they do branch out. I guess unless you had them all in a front border - groupings of 3-4 would be nice.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

You are a confidence builder. Thanks!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Deb its a Climber and a Morning Glory i grow many diff types of MGs heres a Pic of a very rare Jap MG called Gypsy Bride its Fhearthred

Thumbnail by phicks
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Paul, do you grow Blue Enchantment?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i have the seeds but have not planted any yet this year

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Its suppose to be a Dwarf and a bush type to

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I just love that intense blue color in bigcityal's picture.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I grew those last year too. I definitely didn't sow them thick enough as they were to straggly. I would definitely try them again, but this time I think I might try crowding the container.

I tried morning glory and blue enchantment and couldn't get not one to grow!! Any tips? I'm starting from seed!!

Ketchikan, AK

Yes, Convolvulus is a type of morning glory, but it behaves differently than the more common climbing morning glory (Ipomoea species). The cultivar 'Blue Enchantment' is a bush morning glory (Convolvulus tricolor), which means it is a compact, low-growing plant rather than a climber.

'Blue Enchantment' typically grows to about 12-18 inches tall and spreads outwards rather than climbing. It produces beautiful blue flowers with a yellow and white center, making it an excellent choice for ground cover, borders, or container planting.

Choose a sunny spot in your garden, as morning glories prefer full sun. Ensure the soil is well-draining. Space the plants about 12 inches apart to allow room for spreading.

These plants can add a lovely splash of color to your beds without requiring any support for climbing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.