hybrids

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I saved seeds from a very small cantelope type melon last year. Will these produce as the melon I ate? Or will they revert back to the original melons? Does anyone have an idea about this?

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 3:00 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know if there's any way to tell if the melon you ate was a hybrid or not... seeds from hybrids won't generally be true to type. But seeds from a hybrid cantelope will still produce cantelopes (if they grow), and some may turn out to be much the same as the hybrid parent.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you have some more info on the original melon? Was it one you grew last year (if so, do you remember anything about what it was)? Something you bought from the grocery store and saved seeds from? Some more info might help figure out how good your chances are of getting the same thing, otherwise the only way to find out for sure is to plant them and see what you get!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, that will be fun!! A friend bought them at the farmer's market in another town. Don't know who the farmer was. The grower. They were about the size of a softball. Therefore, I thought I would/might have a chance at growing them thru to ripening. Thanks.

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.