Is this fungus or damping off? How do I prevent it?

Loves Park, IL

I'm pretty sure that this is some fungus growth. I've got it on alot of my seed trays. I only watered the seeds once... Are they too wet? And maybe my soil too cold? Any thoughts on how to prevent this? It is bad, right?

THanks!!

(more images in: http://www.iamjacob.com/download/plants )

Thumbnail by mak90
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you talking about the white fuzzy stuff or the green stuff? The white stuff looks like fungus, the green looks like moss or something? Or is it lots and lots of tiny seedlings starting to come up? The soil looks very wet so that could cause problems, my other question is what sort of soil did you use and did you sterilize it before you started?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, the soil looks very wet. Are you winter sowing outdoors, or are you indoors under lights? What medium are you starting them in? Is it sterilized?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That flat definitely needs to dry out... no more water until it does, and set up a fan to blow across it if you can! You can probably spritz *lightly* with a solution of 1 Tbsp. hydrogen peroxide (3%) per quart of water to knock back the fungus.

I sow seeds in sterilized mix that's been just dampened... squeeze a clump of mix together in your hand, if it falls apart when you open your hand you're good to go, if it clumps into a ball you have too much water and need to add more dry mix. I press the seeds into the surface of the soil, but I don't water them in, because I don't want the mix to get so wet.

There are tips on sterilizing soil (I use the microwave) and other things on this thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/589725/

HTH!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have a bunch of that stuff....the white and the green both. I use 10% bleach solution if there is any fungus at all, even on the babies and it clears it right up. NEXT time you water -- don't add any more water to those pots until they dry out! What kind of plant are they?

Suzy

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I also have some green on the surface of some of my 2-inch pots. I realized that I had probably over-watered, so I am letting the pots dry out. Some folks have mentioned chammomile and hydrogen peroxide on threads. Would either of those be appropriate to use in this case? How much do I mix in with the water? Can I use them in combination with a mild-solution of fertilizer or hold off on the fertilizer until the green has disappeared?

Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never tried chamomile only peroxide--I have a little watering can and I put in probably a tablespoon of peroxide (the 3% stuff from the drug store) into the watering can and fill it with water. I'm not real careful about measuring though. I would hold off on the fertilizer--when plants are under stress for any reason I generally won't fertilize them until I get rid of what's causing stress for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.