Just saw a pic of Perilla

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi everybody!

Great new forum -- thanks JL Hudson.

I just saw a picture of something I want -- Perilla. I wondered if it's too late to buy seeds, wait for delivery, and sow them. I'm in Indianapolis - last frost date is May 1st; last frost is usually before April 20th. What do you think?

Thanks,
Suzy

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I would say it depends on how quick your supplier is, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot if it were something I really wanted! I read that it bolts quickly in heat, though, so you shouldn't wait a whole lot longer.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I had perilla self-seed all along the edges of a bed last year, so I'd say it's not too late at all. (I think it would've come up in the entire bed had I not put down some Preen, but I guess the Preen didn't make it all the way to the edge!)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't lke this plant it's way too invasive, I planted some one year and I'm still pulling it up like crazy.

It's not too late if you want it Suzy grow it. It is a pretty plant, some people grow that instead of coleus. It'll grow just about anywhere.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

What about in a container? Is it possible to not let it flower? Do you think I'd still have the same problems? I thought it looked good in a container with dark brown centered Rudbeckias.

Suzy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

You could cut the flowers off it is a pretty plant.

Illoquin,

I love this plant! I have never had it bolt, or bloom for that matter. I am in zone 5-wouldn't think your area would be that different.

For me it gets a spread of approx 3 ftx 3 ft. The wind can do a number on some of the outer branches, but I just pull those off, and the plant fills in quickly. The intense colors are so tropical, they work will with the bigger plants, like Bananas, etc, for a nice contrast.

I've also never had a problem with mine wilting- that problem seems reserved for primarily my containerized Persian Shields! LOL

I have never grown the Perillas from seed, but if mine ever bloom, and I find the seed isn't sterile, you can bet I will.

Good Luck!!

Sasha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.