Anybody taking pictures of their sprouts?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Is anyone taking pictures of their seedlings? I'm going to try some but my camera doesn't do close-ups well. If I stand three feet away it'll focus okay, but I have to crop it to make it look like anything. plantfiles can sure use some pictures of seedlings, and I think wintersown.org was asking for pictures a while back, too. Some of us will have mystery seedlings and the more pictures to compare with the better! So feel free to post your pictures here if you want. I'll take some if the sun comes out at all here today.
Mike

Thumbnail by claypa
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

mike -- see if your camera has a "macro" setting. Most do, but that is what you will need to get some images in focus.
(sometimes the "macro" is an image of a flower, in the settings)

I loved my old Nikon, it's macro was easier to use than the Canon we have now.

I haven't taken any pics yet... though i do have a few babies growing.

terese

No, no macro setting - but it'll play mp3's!? Most of my pictures were lost when my computer crashed a week ago and I did a system restore. So I copied that picture from my diary page just to have something to post there. That was Jan. 29th and we got more snow after that, only the holes in the jugs were visible.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is one of mnie that has sprouted, but I have no idea what it might be...the writing washed off and I forgot to label the bottom of them....but they are doing quite well..LOL

Thumbnail by JanetS

Well, the box says grapes but I guess that's not it.... maybe Morning Glories or some kind of convolvulaceae... they do look happy!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

JanetS are they 4 o'clocks ?

I am not winter sowing but have started seeds in my basement, I have been adding seed and seedling pictures to plant files, I sure helps, and is a lot of fun, I have been using micro setting and also changed the light setting. Still some fuzzy pictures, but I keep trying. : )

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

convolvulaceae, I think that is it...

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I've got some photo's to share :-)

This one's Globe Amaranth.

Thumbnail by wgnkiwi
Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Lisianthis - v e r y s l o w growing...

Thumbnail by wgnkiwi
Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Rudbeckia 'Green Wizard'. This had the fastest and highest germination rate.

Thumbnail by wgnkiwi
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Janet --

I too was gonna say 4-O'clocks.
that is what i recall mine looking like when i direct sow them.

did you WS some?

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Those are great pictures. Please add to the plant files. They are very sharp and easy to see.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't have any from my wintersowing yet, but here's Thunbergia alata (black-eyed susan vine) that I started in the house

edit to add: mine's fuzzy...even using the macro I don't get the sharp pics that some cameras can

This message was edited Mar 15, 2007 9:30 PM

Thumbnail by grampapa
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Wgnkiwi: I'm so envious! I WS'd Lisianthus, I also stated some inside and some in the greenhouse. Results? Nothin'!! :( Still hopeful, tho.
Deb

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I have to say I'm impressed with my photo's too. Normally I'm completely hopeless at it but I got a new Canon Powershot and it seems to take care of a lot of my mistakes. The macro is great. I took some photo's of Liatris which is coming up too but they are all blurry so I need to re-take them tomorrow. They are a very interesting looking seedling.

Deb - Don't give up hope yet. I really think they need the warmer weather to germinate and we're getting up into the high 60's and 70's now. They are even slow to add new leaves.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I am going to say no, to the 4'oclocks, I did plant some of the other though and some morning glory vine bush things...lol I will have to get the envelopes out that I got the seeds from and hope I have some of each left..so I can try and figure it out..lol

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a kazillon seeds sprouting in the greenhouse but no time to post them in the plant files.

P

O, I know you do bigred! Have the seeds sprouting I mean, not the time to post them all. But it's not much more time consuming to put a picture in plantfiles as it is in a thread. If the plant is already in plant files, it's a piece of cake... at least take some pictures and maybe post them there on a 'rainy day'. It's snowing again here...

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Snowing!!! We are expecting 78 today. A perfect day for planting summer bulbs and potting up those Rudbeckia, not to mention the thousands of basil seedlings I am growing for the local flea market. The weather in this country is so diverse it's incredible.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Claypa, What spouts? I think I failed at WS. Or was it all a cruel hoax? I am about to go to plan two and set up flats in my living rm. I have a great GH but it has wild fluctuations in temperature so I find my living rm the better spot. Patti

No hoax, you'll see!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are my shasta daisies.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

My tray of Coleus. They are in my dining room window -- see the "lean"
on a heat mat. Sown on Monday, germinated on Wednesday... so they are 3 days old.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

lastly ... my cosmos. There are only 4 that have germinated so far, out of 24 seeds.

the first one was last Sunday, 3-11-07, sown on 2-19-07. then it seems a seeds every other day, with the 4 th seed, just starting to poke thru.

that's all i have so far.

Terese

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

I know I`m a bit south of you ,
But my cannas are taking off like weeds .

Thumbnail by ginger749
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

baby basil... this one's Red Rubin

Thumbnail by grampapa

ginger, it looks like the snow has already melted where you are, I bet that makes for some poor sledding!

That looks like a miniature forest of coleus tcs, and I like the 'Cosmo'. It makes sense that the cotyledon leaves are skinny like the seed, I haven't seen any yet here. It's still snowing and sleeting to beat the band...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Mike -- i dont know what i'll do with all those coleus if they all germinate and survive.
maybe half my neighbors will have them on the north side....

ginger --
>>I know I`m a bit south of you

a bit south... your summer should just about be ending, right? in the land of OZ.
they're lookin' good.

terese

Summer does slow a little .
But no winter to speak of .
We swim in pool all year round .

Thumbnail by ginger749
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

These are pics of my sprouts from winter sowing. Thought the pictures were on this computer but the file must be on my husband's computer. Here's pic from diary, though.

http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=4359

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

very cool to be able to see all your sprouts like that at once

ginger, guess that puts a damper on your wintersowing activities LOL poor thing, you'll have to console yourself with a swim. are your cannas from seed?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Good job Deb!!!

no grampapa
They are from root cuttings .
I split this one into 3 parts .

Thumbnail by ginger749
Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's the long view of some of my babies. I can't really get good closeups either, though I'll try again and see what comes out. These pics were taken a couple of weeks ago so they've gotten a bit bigger and other cups have germinated since then.

Thumbnail by Pameliap
Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by Pameliap
Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by Pameliap
Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Sweetpeas - I was amazed at the roots!

Thumbnail by Pameliap

You have been one Buisy Gardener .
Great Pics Pam.

Yes, those peas sure look happy! Pameliap, what did you use for a lid on your bins, just the lid it came with, with holes in it?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Pam -- That's the nicest looking setup I've seen -- Tell us about the bin and lid, do either have holes? What about the cups? What kind are they? Do they have holes?

We all start sprouts, say in January, but yours (zone 8) are huge and maybe 2% of mine (zone 5) have germinated. That means my plants are in the containers a lot longer that yours would be so I have to be prepared for more emergencies, catastrophes and flooding and drought and sunburn, blah-blah-blah. But if I could have all those babies in that small, compact and nice-looking contraption, I'd be a lot happier!

Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.