companion plants for cannas

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

That canna China Doll is beautiful. I wonder if it would grow that pretty in the hot sun of west Texas? doss, you said it is common in your area..if you should come across some rhyzomes, I would love to have some. Willing to pay ... I am working on getting different pink bloomers for my mother and I love darker or variegated foliage.. that one is the best of both worlds. I have some pink sunburst I am starting right now. NoH2O found them up where she lives and mailed them to me last week. The rhyzomes are in little pots to start them.

Your combination of plants and clors is beautiful. I hope to have an area of my beds looking so good some day.

Tammie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

In looking at it I'm pretty sure that it's not 'China Doll' which has green leaves. It may very well be 'Futurity Pink' which you can get on line from Karchesky Canna. You may not get away with just buying one though if you get on their site.
http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

They are very good about helping you if you want to talk to them.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sun coleus is gorgeous with cannas! I also use brugs in huge pots between them, with sun coleus in the pots too. I plant elephant ears and Abelmoschus Manihot, red leaf hibiscus and sweet potato vines with the canna in the sun as well. I know it's a bit warmer down there though.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I have some purple queen ground cover in my canna area. I just rooted some pieces from my huge area of purple queen last fall and they have already come back this spring... I am amazed but that stuff will root if you even look at it and comes back every year after freezing to the ground.

Tammie

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

doss that raised bed is incredible.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Oooooh, Doss---just give me a sec here to wipe the drool off my keyboard before it shorts out....!!

It's encouraging that it's taken you 30 years to get to this point----we've been in this house for 20, so I have 10 more years to get my act together LOL!!

Would I be wise to sink containers in the ground or something so my cannas don't outgrow the spots I have planned for them, or should I just let 'er rip and dig 'em out when they get out of hand? I have mostly dwarf varieties with daylilies and iris, but I'm still working on this first area and have only planted Wyoming so far in the bed. They've spread some in 3 years, but haven't become too obnoxious....yet. I have a Praetoria that I stuck somewhere till I could figure out where to put it permanently, and it seems to have decided for me. It's made me a little nervous about the others. The place I have planned for them doesn't get a lot of water, and I thought that might keep them under control. Am I deluding myself?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Doss, it all looks incredible! Am awed by that pink canna like everyone else.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Cannas will spread it's true. I have mine just in the ground and find that you can either dig them back or break off the sprouts you don't like. I don't grow them near other plants so much though and if they don't get a lot of water they do grow slower. It's really up to you if you plant them in containers. I have that large orange one and it's been in the ground almost 20 years and it's about 4 feet around.

I know that they can become pests though so it's really up to you. Luckily you have to divide the daylilies and iris so you could attack the canna at the same time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.