Are Boxelder bugs a problem?

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I have my new seeds started in the basement, and I am JUST starting to see a bit of green - but I am now noticing with the lights (and the warmth they provide) that the boxelders are starting to congregate. Can anyone tell me if they feed on seedlings, or are they harmless? I will be down there every day with a vaccuum if I have to be! I noticed this last year but I got such a late start and had such poor germination that I wasn't sure if it was an issue or not, but that is another thread...

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm not sure what they are eating in your basement, so they may go for the pIants, but I've not known them to be a problem with any plants other than boxelder, ash and maple trees, which they feed on. They will occasionally attack other shade and fruit trees also.

Hopefully someone who knows more will come along, since I'm most likely about to be infested also, if you are already.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

We have boxelders, but they seem to congegate where it is warm. Mine seem to collect on the siding of the house when it is sunny in the spring and fall, especially. I wonder if they are attracted to your lights because of the warmth. Those things can seem to get into the smallest of cracks! I don't like to use a lot of chemicals, but I sometimes use Bug G Gone on the front of the house in the areas that they go to. It will help for awhile and then back they come. I too do not know if they will hurt the plants. I have never seen them eat anything around the front where I see them. They like the mulch beds too. I will be watching to see if anyone else has an answer, because I HATE THEM! Nothing like having guests over and seeing one of those creatures sharing my space...UGH.

Well, my kitties love them. All I have to do is yell "doodlebug" (yeah, I know they aren't, but it is Elsa's nickname, too), and they come running. Crunch, crunch, crunch, problem solved. When I go out the front door during the season, they all congregate and start meowing so I will bring one back for each. But they don't get to go in the basement! And I could have sworn I saw one feeding on my seedlings last year. I will have to keep a close eye.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Let us know if they do indeed go for a seedling...I would want to know.

That is something about the cats...my miniature dachshund goes nuts for them. We all find it gross, but it doesn't stop her. What is in those bugs that these pets go crazy for? Maybe we should collect these bugs and market them as pet treats! That could finance our garden habits!

Yup - they were definitely feeding off the seedlings - but I didn't see a lot of damage to them so I guess they weren't hurting them too much. Regardless, out came the vaccum!

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Did they prefer any one particular type of seedling? Wow, that is horrible!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.