banana questions

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi! I'm new to DG and to gardening... have just planted three banana plants in my yard and already have little pups around them. I read some of the other posts in this forum regarding watering and fertilizer (appears they like both)... and here is a question... I heard that as the leaves die off I should keep them on the ground around the banana plants. Is this true? Is it to hold in moisture? thanks!! Any helpful tips are greatly appreciated!!
Kathy

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm surprised you didn't get any replies yet. I'm hardly an expert but have been growing bananas for several years now with fair success. It's amazing how many bananas and other tropicals being grown in the north these days.

My daughter lives in Orlando and the growing contrasts are formidable - and not just the temperature and humidity. That Florida "soil" of yours is pretty sad. My daughter moved to Florida from Kansas where dirt really is dirt instead of sand. Keeping the plants moist in Florida can be very challenging given the seasonal nature of rainfall and the porosity of the soil.

Holding in moisture is important for tropicals, but one has to be careful not to induce rotting in areas like yours where the humidity is very high. I think there may be better ways than piling up the old leaves at the base of the plants. Incorporation of organic matter would be the way up here, but may be impractical in Florida.

OK Floridians, lets hear from you real experts. Yes these topics have been here before, but we always have new gardeners coming on-board who can benefit from your knowledge.

Dave.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

digital-dave -

Thanks for taking a moment to reply... later this month there is a roundup in Lakeland, FL and hopefully some Florida gardeners there will help me with my banana questions too... You sure are right on about our sporadic rainfall (feast or famine) and soil... but boyohboy have we had some beautiful weather lately... Don't know if the banana plants are appreciating it!!!!
Have a great day!
Kathy

Paris, TX

I bought a dwaft banana tree and am not sure what sun they should receive. Is full sun ok?

Fulton, MO

Depends on the variety, but the most common, Dwarf Cavendish, is usually listed as part sun to full sun.

Paris, TX

I need to repot it. What kind of root structure do they have. I have grown papaya from seed and am amazed how tall they get with such small roots. I have a large pot I would like to use.

Fulton, MO

Bananas don't have the disproportionately small root system like papayas...they have plenty of roots.

Paris, TX

Thanks I am going to give it a new home in a big pot today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.