planted!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I assumed Tomtom was a he as well! Logical. Are you going to go ahead and plant them?

All my wine pipettes have tendrils now. I love watching these things grow. I did set up my "gourd corner" in the garage but haven't actually done anything in there yet. The corner is rustic-pretty with all those gourds in the shelves.

Anybody working on anything right now? Works in progress?

Crossville, TN

I'm working on getting ready to go to the So. Cal. RU...then points East for a month.

No...not planting gourds this year...hate to ask my friend to take care of them while I am gone for a month.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Finally got a new camera! OK, I finally got my DSIL's old camera, but same difference. I'm taking pictures this evening, I hope, and will post. One of the wine pipette plants (thank you, Jo!) is blooming and though by the time I got back in town the blossoms were past their prime, I "nuzzled" a male and female and hopefully have gourds started. I'm so excited! Will post pics tomorrow if all goes well... keep your fingers crossed!

Crossville, TN

HMMMMM Artificial imsemination (sp)......good girl,!! Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I TOOK pictures, but my DSIL didn't send me the cord that attaches the camera to a computer, so... I'll post next week. The little pepo that "got lucky" is bigger today, so hopefully the operation took! I'm so excited! I feel like I'm going to be a grandma again!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

TA TA TA DAAAAAAAAA!

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a view of both of them:

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And here is a view of the whole little vine. This is one of the wine pipette vines -- the first to show growth. I have flowers on the others, but so far no gourds. Nothing yet on the bushel gourds, but it'll happen.

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a broad view of the wine pipette/dipper gourd garden...

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are the two wine pipette gourds (the vines have gotten pretty puny; I think I have a fungus or virus going and plan to spray them ASAP)...

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Luffa vine!!!

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

A broad view of where the bushel gourds are planted (these guys really travel!)...

Edited to say the vines are planted in the raised bed that has the headboard in it. They've travelled forward into the fallow raised bed and out to the right.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2007 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And a bushel gourd baby! There are several smaller ones. All thanks to Jo, by the way!

She is the Gourdmother.

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Crossville, TN

AWWWW Shucks...Twern't nuttin! LOL Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

The heck twern't! You're what I love about gardeners.

Crossville, TN

*big blushes* LOL Jo

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

awesome looking gourds, I can hardly wait to see what mine do this year.

Lavina

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It's so fun watching them do their thing -- especially once they get past that early childhood balk they get into!

I've left a few females for nature to take care of, and have found they rarely get fertilized, so I am on a campaign to fertilize nearly all of them. I really need to get in andfight this funus or virus or whatever it is, though, as it's weakening the vines.

Crossville, TN

Don't give that "Mama vine" more than she can handle...you know that when a dog has more puppies than she can feed.......she weeds out the weakest...my DD just took a Blue Healer/Great Dane mix puppy that her mama couldn't handle...She's doing very good now. Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, that's going to be one heck of a dog!

You're right about the more than they can handle part. It's just so hard to resist fertilizing every little female gourd I see!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I sprayed them all yesterday with a fungicide. I hope it's not too late. I also was meandering around the local hardware store and someone is putting out packets of ornamental gourd seeds! I got snake, swan, banana, and long handled dippers. I think I still have plenty of growing season left, and yesterday I planted some snake gourds in a pot by a little arbor. We shall see; hopefully they're far enough away from any virus or fungus that they won't be affected by it. They're in my side yard, a fence and maybe ten yards from what's already out there. I don't remember the company that put them out, but I'll check, especially to see if they have a website. I'll probably save most for spring planting and put them in a different part of the yard.

Crossville, TN

I love the swan gourds....they paint up to nice Swans or Geese.. Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, sad news. The wine pipette gourd that had gotten so big is no more. The vine wilted, and the gourd started to rot, so I got rid of it. NOT into the compost! Threw it away. I don't know whether the others will succomb to whatever did this -- I'm keeping watch and will post.

The bushel gourds are a nice distance away and I've sprayed Safer fungicide around. Also worked some sulphur into the soil. Hopefully this little loss will be the only one. I'll report as things happen.

:(

Crossville, TN

Condolences~ Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.