Tankless, on demand, water heaters

Ida, MI

I just had my propane delivered and I only used 111 gallons since mid November! Of course I have my mighty woodburning stove to thank for keeping my home warm and toasty throughout subzero temps this winter but I also installed a tankless water heater a couple of years ago and it is definately providing me with substantial propane savings while IMPROVING our quality of life. First, it only heats the water when you need it, it doesn't keep thirty or forty gallons of water hot just in case you might need it. That is what a standard water heater d0oes. A tankless water heater only heats the water when you are ready to use it. I used to keep my water heater turned way down to save propane, this meant that when you took a shower you could only get it as hot as the water heater was set which wasn't that hot. The other problem with standard water heaters is that you run out of hot water! If two people wanted to take a shower in the am the second person had to wait for the water in the tank to heat up. No more! With the tanless you have endless hot water! And I don't mind if the kids take a longer shower because I know I am still saving money compared to the old heater keeping the water hot all day and night.

Not to mention since there is no tank to rust out, these things last a lot longer than the older models and when they do go, its a small plastic box with cooper pipe which can all be recycled and even if its not it is still MUCH smaller than a big tank. Thats another plus if your house is short on space, it is a small box that hangs on the wall, it actually takes up ZERO floor space. I got mine at Lowes and had a handy friend install it, he was so impressed he went out and got one for his own house. They come in natural gas and propane models and I believe there are electric models also. You can even get small under sink models for say a bathroom sink in an office etc. IMHO these things are a perfect example of sustainable alternatives, while it doesn't eliminate your need for propane etc. it deffinately reduces that need and IMPROVES your quality of life. IMHO tank style water heaters are a dying breed, the tankless style will soon replace them.

This thread has 71 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!