WS containers in sun or shade?

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

It seems as if everyone has a different locations for their WS containers; many in the sun, but many on porches in shade. I could not find specific info at Trudi's WS site (may have missed it). Mine are currently on my deck, away from curious night visiting animals that like to tip them over; but are in the shade. Should I move them into the sun since the weather is warming?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

In my opinion it doesn't matter much in cold, wintry weather. But this time of year, overheating is the main concern. In shade they will need less tending. In sun, unless they're open, they could cook when the weather is warm. Not only do they get hot, they dry more in sun.

Karen

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much, Karen. I knew I would have to carefully watch them if I put them in the sun. Should they be placed in the sun a few hours a day after they have several sets of leaves (before being planted out)? As you might guess, this is my first year at WS. Tammy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Gradually intoducing to more sun should be OK, just be sure the tops are off or open. I don't mean the screw on cap but the whole top half of the jug, if the weather is warm and they'll be in sun. I enlarged the holes in all my containers today, and they're not even completely sealed with tape..

Karen

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

Later in the day Tuesday the 13th, I saw my first WS sprouts (convolvulus), when the temps were warmer. After two days of being in the 70's, it is now snowing on them. I guess I'll leave them covered in the shade for a while longer. Thanks again, Karen
Tammy

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

After the snow, I went out late this afternoon, and took a flashlight to check on the seedlings--and there is nothing, no wilted stems or leaves, nothing. Does this happen often with weather fluxations? There were not that many sprouts, about 10, and were very small; so possibly more will germinate and be OK???

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Morning sun is preferable because the hot afternoon rays can really bake those sprouts. Personally, I would move them to a shadier area once they have germinated. The seeds that have germinated now will be fine. More will germinate when they are ready. Mother Nature is taking very good care of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.