How long can balled burlap last?

Buffalo, NY

I'm buying a 10+ year old blueberry bush, balled and burlapped.
I'm picking it up on the way to Chicago.
Question is - how long can it safely stay in the burlap before planting?
I could save myself some hassle by picking it up Friday May 11, but not planting it until Tuesday May 15th
It's possible I could pick it up on Saturday, but would take me 4 extra hours.

What would you do?

(kinda kicking myself for buying it)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Heebee.... Don't worry. It will be fine until you find the time to plant it. If you look around at trees sitting at nurserie s and garden centers, you wil find some B &B's that have been that way for years and years.

Congrats on your find and hope ya get lots of juciy blueberrie s from it.

Buffalo, NY

starlight - thanks for the reassurance
now here's the question:
do you think I could fit it in the front passenger seat of a car, if I put the seat back?
it's 6 feet by three feet, apparently
here's a photo: http://hartmannsplantcompany.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BB-R-0410&Category_Code=BBM-R&Store_Code=HPC

Thumbnail by heebiejeebie
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Sorry, didn't get back to ya sooner. Hopefulyl by now you have it home. yes you should be abel to get it it. I would take a sheet or some sring to wrap aroudn the branche s so they stay together and don't get broken. Don't pull it real tight, just enough to keep it loosley grouped together.

You'd be surprised what I have manage d to stuf f in my little metro when it was running.

Looks like ya got a good sized nice healthy bush there. : ) I would recommend at some point getting another variety and planting it near it for cros s pollination so you'll get more berries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.