Anyone in zone 6 see their Asparagus yet ?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Looked today - nada.

Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

It should be about one to two more weeks before I start seeing them. Ususally the first or second week in April for me.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Today I had to cut down about 6 stalks that had gone to fern. Will the asparagus fit for eating come back or have I done them in for the season. If I don't check twice a day, some of them are ferns.

LouC

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Everything is late this spring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

A friend of mine just leaves any ferns that form in the patch and keeps harvesting spears. The "fern" foliage is what will feed the asparagus plant for next year's harvest, so I'm not sure why you'd cut them down... I don't think forming a few ferns does anything to reduce the remaining harvest.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I got 1 spear about a week ago, based on the advice here, I ate it right there. It was very good, never had anything like it. Since then, nothing, so I was starting to get worried and I peaked under the mulch today andfound a bunch just getting started. Preparing the butter :)

Jeff

Thumbnail by jkehl
Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

Cutting is what supposedly stimulates the production of more spears. I'm told that once they start going to fern, they don't send out as many spears. I have no backing for this other than what I was told in the past.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK... it may be that my friends' patch is just so well established that they don't worry about that anymore...

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I ran across this thread late. I have an established bed. I started it with 3 year crowns and this year will be their 5th year I've been picking for the past 2 weeks. Oh I'm in zone 7. I pick everything that is larger than a skinny pencil. The smaller ones I let go to fern. This year I'm going to harvest for a month to 6 weeks. After that I will let them all go to fern. I have also started a second patch from seed that I collected. This year will be their 3rd year in the ground. What I want to know is how do you all keep the weeds out? I've heard from a "Northerner" to put salt down, but I think that sounds extreme. How do you do it?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mine are heavily mulched and so far I have no weed problems. BTW, I read somewhere that the size (diameter) of the spears is not an indication of maturity. Some crowns just produce small spears occasionally, just like really fat spears.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Mine peeked their little heads up today. I can just barely see them. A couple more days and they should be up and on their way. Mmmmm (smacking lips).

I kinda thought things were late this year, but actually......Easter was early. That threw me off I think. I expected too much too soon. But we're getting there.
I just have to keep reminding myself it's not even April yet.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Tips! Zone 5b!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Found my first asparagus of the year today. Purple passion asparagus. Ten days earlier than last year.

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

Out yesterday, found one tip, about 1 inch tall. A little cool and wet here.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

It really hurts me to see my small asparagus bed now has over 2 dozen spears that are more than 18" tall. However, this is just Year 2 for them here and I'm advised NOT to pick them. (I did cheat and pick 4 nice spears to add to a sautéed crab dish.)

These are a mix of Mary Washington's, and the ones I have coming are Jersey Knight (all male).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.