An allee of peach trees?

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I'm trying to pick a tree to make an allee out of in my backyard. From a previous post I made, I've been leaning towards crabapples. But then I started to think why not get some edible fruit out of this. My father had a peach tree when I was growing up, and the peaches were so delicious. I've been trying to find photos of backyard peach trees, to see if the tree could be kept pruned and would look nice enough to be decorative in my allee. The only pictures I've found were commercial orchards, and the branches started a little lower than I would want for my allee. I'd like at least a 4' trunk, and then branches above that. Then I'd keep the tree pruned to no taller then 10'.
Is this possible, can I make an attractive allee from peach trees? I'm in zone 6b, and I'm thinking I'd get a few different varieties, to stretch the season. But would the trees look similar enough in my allee? Can anyone recommend good tasting varieties? Anyone have any photos of their trees?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

To maintain a maximum height without severe pruning you should probably choose semi-dwarf cultivars. And to avoid over-long branches you might take a look at the spur-type trees developed by Stark Bros. Remember that young trees need their lower branches to stablilize/balance themselves in high winds,

Yuska

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Are you looking for long-lived trees? Peach trees don't live very long. One 25 years old is considered ancient. All my fruit trees are either dwarf or semi-dwarf. I like the shape and look of Japanese persimmons and apple trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.