Propagating Bougainvillea

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have this very nice Variegated Bougainvillea and I would like to propagate more. What would be the best way to propagate this.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's flowering right now, here is a close-up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oh wow, Holly!! It is gorgeous. I have alittle one that looks pretty sad compared to yours.
:) Donna

(Zone 1)

Holly, That's a Beauty! I've never tried propagating Bougie's before .... I would think you could take a stem cutting of hard wood and root it in regular ole potting soil. I only have one Bougainvilla and it's real small, in a hanging basket out in the back yard. It got hit by some cold weather this winter and looks kinda pitiful right now. I might just go out tomorrow and take a cutting to see if I can get it to root for me!

Love that variegated one! The leaves are soooo pretty .... beautiful bloom too!

Lin

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi,

I've made hardwood cuttings from Bougainvillea in the past. Just plant them in ordinary potting soil. Mine was left standing in the sun. I watered them daily though..
Elsa

San Antonio, TX

I took cuttings of my different Bouganvillas early winter and they spent the next couple of months in my greenhouse. I just took them out along with the Hibiscus cuttings. They've all rooted and some are starting to put out flower buds. I generally just powder them with rooting hormone and put them into small pots and they do well after a while. I have the same Bouganvilla u have in your picture. I leave them out doors all winter and they do fine.

Thumbnail by Anaid
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Elsa and Anaid, I think I will do the Cuttings as soon as I get more space on my seedling table. I have quite a few plants I'd like to try Propagating and once my seeds are out of the way I could use my seedling table. Make it easy and keep them all in one place.
Anaid, Nice picture, must be nice to be able to keep it out side. Holly

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought a bougainvillea several yrs ago and instead of just lettin' it hang around, I cut off all but 4 "stems/branches". I braided the 4 trunks and now its so beautiful! Its about 6' tall now and lookin' so good!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What a great idea a bougainvillea tree. I'd love to see a picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.