Satsuma Mandarin (Kimbrough)

Gotha, FL(Zone 9a)

I am thinking about purchasing a Satsuma Mandarin 'Kimbrough' variety for the Orlando, Florida area. Many web sites I have visited have a Satsuma Mandarin as only growing to 10' to 12' high. This is the size I need. However, the tree certification tag for the 'Kimbrough' variety indicates this tree to 25' high and 20' wide. This is definitely not what I need. The Nurseryman doesn't know the true height for this variety or if it can be pruned to 12' high without affecting fruit production. I can not find any information on the internet indicating the expected mature height for the 'Kimbrough' but every other bit of information available on the tree. There is a lot of information on regular Mandarin Satuma's though; even their being able to be grown in large containers.

Thanks for your help.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Good luck I've been trying to figue out the height of a Satsuma Mandarin for a while. Know one knows. I don't think keeping it the right size by pruning would be hard. I just planted Owari satsma and bloomsweet grapefruit. I have room for about a 20ft wide tree max. so I will be trying to keep them in the 15X15 range. Don't think it will a problem but i haven't had anyone say, "sure know problem".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.