Do deer eat . . . ?

Buena Vista, VA

Does anyone have experience with deer eating 1) asparagus or 2) raspberry bushes?

I will be fencing some of my garden area, and I am trying to decide whether I can leave those two things unfenced. Since I have a lot of asparagus and a lot of berries, the savings would be substantial if I don't have to fence them. Part of the reason for fencing is to protect the vegetables from deer, but also my dogs--they have decided that tomatoes and melons are absolutely delicious.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I don't know about deer, but my golden retriever loves tomatoes.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have both rasp and asparagus, but have never seen it eaten by anything. Deer are not a problem here, admittedly, but I havegroundhog big time, and they don't touch either, but do eat a lot of other things all around here.
I think the dogs might do damage trampling the asparagus as it comes up. So you just send them over to me/my husband LOL (is Grace a dobie or weimeraner?)

Buena Vista, VA

Sally, what a memory you have! Grace is a Dobe; she is a love that was an adoptee at 6 mos. old. Last summer she ate all the tomatoes off the plants, then the deer decimated the plants. Somehow the dogs don't trample anything--they pretty much keep to the paths where walking is easier. Saving their energy for chasing things?

Well, I had scanned back thru tose pictures recntly. She's very pretty, love that color. must be all the vitamins form the tomatoes.
So all I can say is that in years I haven't had rabbits, groundhogs or anything appear to graze on my R or A. but they decimated beans, sunflowers, pumpkins, peas, okra, zinnias

Buena Vista, VA

So what I am thinking is that I only need to fence part of the garden--for tomatoes, peppers, melons, cucumers, potatoes, etc. If I have trouble with the asparagus or raspberries, I should be able to get some netting (like for protecting cherries only more visible), attach it to the top of the fence, and then ground-staple it on the other side of the asparagus like a lean-to tent. Same on the other side for berries. I have read that deer will not jump anything wide (or anything they can't see through). Sounds like a plan.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Don't forget that groundhogs will dig under unless the fence is partly buried. Not sure how deep it has to be.

( I know they say that but my groundhogs aren't that desperate. so far...but they did easily figure out how to climb over a part where I left some junk by the fence- it was funny after I looked at it from their perspective)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

My groundhogs (listen to me! not my groundhogs LOL) haven't dug under my flimsy deer fences either but they did a bangup job of uprooting every single new plant I planted last spring in the flower bed, which has no fence.

Bthyme, what you're talking about doing with the deer fence will work, at least it has here. I've been told they don't like anything they can get tangled in. I have the plastic deer fence around my daylily bed about 5 feet tall and a couple of feet of it draped on the ground around it. They could easily jump that fence and haven't. Before the fence, my daylilies were constantly being mowed to the ground by the munching deer.

I think too you don't have to fence off everything if you can just block their normal travel route into your yard. My elderly friend that I help garden was having a time with the deer eating her roses. Last spring I ran deer fence along the back of her yard, which was where they were coming in. She hasn't had a problem since even though they could easily enter from any of the other three sides.

I'm moving my vegetable garden this year from the small raised bed, which is surrounded by deer fencing, to the much larger old garden. If it looks like the deer, rabbits and groundhogs are going to eat my vegetable plants, I'll put the deer fencing around it too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.