The Nursery at TyTy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Have any of you purchased from The Nursery at TyTY (http://www.tytyga.com/)? I didn't see it listed in Garden Watchdog. Do you have any comments on the experience?

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Look here:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/689115/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Am I ever glad I asked -- what a mess. I will add my name to those who won't order from TyTy. What a wonderful resource the DG community it. I'm sorry Dave feels intimidated and cannot post the negative comments on Garden Watchdog.

Baltimore, MD

Here is the old TyTy watchdog page before their lawyers got going, thanks to the wayback machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20050125085741/davesgarden.com/gwd/c/489/

The load is slow and also all images won't load but you should be able to get the gist.

Scott

Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

I have DRIVEN there twice. Lots of loud-colored cute hand-painted signs on the roads leading to their place in, yes, Ty Ty, Georgia. i guess it pays to advertise.

I cannot recommend them to anyone. Also beware of them under other names.

Mark., avoiding the litany of personal experiences, even

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

82% negative -- amazing they can stay in business. Maybe they don't care -- maybe that isn't their primary business. Makes you wonder.

Brooklyn, NY

what i particularly loved were the numerous attempts (presumably by tyty) to create false positive reviews and daves garden's stunning detective work in pointing out how all the positive reviews were coming from the same ip address in georgia where tyty is based.
absolutely hysterical!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

His calling them on it is probably what set off the threats to sue.

Brooklyn, NY

If i ever win the lottery, I'll offer to fund any litigation all the way to the supreme court, if dave will put those hilarious posts back online-

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

Brooklyn, NY

i just checked out the tyty website- its soo ridiculous with all those pics of women's cleavage on a nursery website- i wold like to think, that the pics themselves would have scared me off even without seeing the feedack

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree -- it was the pictures that reminded to check the DG feedback before ordering -- definitely a warning sign.

Buffalo, NY

every time I get their catalog, I put it straight in the trash
I asked them to stop sending it to me, they said they would, but it keeps coming
perhaps I should write "return to sender" on it

Marianna, FL

I haven't had any recent experience with the "nursery" in question, but years ago, bad experience. But may I suggest that we rely on more recent reports of any establishment as the ownership and/or management can change and therefore past experiences--good or bad can change. So, let's be fair and not go back and dig up the past because it MAY not apply. I've seen recent tv ads by them and it appears to be the same type of commercials, though. Sorry !
Sugarcane52

Baltimore, MD

Sugarcane, my view of nurseries such as TyTy (or similarly, Southmeadow) is they have enough years of flagrantly illegal and immoral actions that they should have been shut down years ago for their behavior. Sorry, no second chance when you blow it that bad.

Scott

Tallahassee, FL

every time ive used them they have been great and very helpful as long as i dont ask them to ship over state lines...

BUT>> NEVER BUY CAMELLIAS FROM ESPOSITO'S IN TALLAHASSEE!!!!!
i know for a fact that tehy buy the plants from cali knowing that they have Oak sudden death disease and then ignore the state ag dept ban and sell them anyways!!!
last week they were fined $5,000 for "missing" plants....

Mesa, AZ

I ordered from TYTY before I became a member of DG. I wanted to give some negitive feedback but TYTY was not on the list so I tried to add them and was told they could not be added to the list in the Garden Watchdog.

Any way I purchased a fig tree from them over the phone that they said was self fruitful and that it did not require any pollinator ie; tiny wasp. Well the tree is now over 6ft tall and no sign of any figs because it does require the tiny wasp to pollinate them and they do not live in my state. At this point I plan on airlayering about 10 of the branches that have grown from it and selling them on ebay in the fall of 2008. If I can't get any figs off of my expensive fig tree perhaps I can make a little cash from it.

When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You mean this has picture doesn't have anything to do with cherries? http://www.tytyga.com/

Their web site is over the top.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I once worked with a woman from South GA who swore she knew a girl named LuLu BoBo from TyTy. Maybe LuLu went into the bad nursery business.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

LOLOLOL

Boy am I glad I found this thread!!! I was planning on buying a lemon tree from them - not now!

THANK YOU everyone!!

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

guineagirl, if that's true what you said about those camellias, that is very concerning.

Ocean Springs, MS

OMG, I almost ordered some things from them this morning, then decided to wait. So glad I waited. Thanks for the info. julie

Union Grove, AL

I have a friend who got some nice things from them years ago and was shocked when i told here about the rating they have now, others have had very bad experiences, There are so many Bobo's around here that they have a small town named for them, unincorporated.

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

OMG....

I am SO glad I didn't order from them. I didn't because I couldn't find them listed on Garden Watchdog and thought that was strange.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

They seem to be a complete disaster.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I wish I had read that before I ordered an apple tree from them. It was a foot shorter than it was advertised to be. I paid about twice as much to get a 5-6' tree and recieved a 4' tree. they told me they had pruned it before shipping it. I promptly planted it and it never did sprout leaves.

After reading about them I don't want to pay to ship it back and hope I would get a replacement.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's terrible!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

They have some videos on youtube making outrageous claims. They said they are the only nursery in the US to carry jujube trees. However, about 5 carry them in Austin, TX alone. What losers!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I couldn't find the youtube site. Has anyone posted a comment indicating that the jujube trees are available elsewhere?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Enjoy.
This is the video for the jujube.

If you look at some of their ads on their website, it has really creepy sexual overtones to it.
Notice the link to the jujube video has the word sex in it. WEIRD!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIbjbgSEXo

This message was edited Aug 31, 2009 8:43 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Really creepy and offensive.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I just had to watch the entire crape myrtles church landscapes video.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I couldn't Terry, after seeing their website a couple of years ago with young ladies selling WATERMELLONS! Enough said? :-)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I didn't know they are on you tube, LOL. Sorry but this company just puts a smile on my face. How on earth they stay in business I'm not sure but the ads must work on someone out there. Just did a revisit of their web site and they seemed to have toned it down. Hmmmm. Maybe the ads didn't work that well.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my God!!!!
I just watched the Giant Crape Myrtle video.
She went from wearing a sports top to a Continential Airlines uniform to that crazy pouty face at the end.

I would never order from them but the vids are so funny.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.