2007Winter photos, from folks in warm climates Part 2

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't have much fresh stuff, been working all weekend.

The hippeastrum are starting their bloom cycle. This is one from Sat Mar 3 2007

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

After seeing this 'ground cover' T. alata I went and bought some seed. I checked this plant for ripe seed, it is a nice, somewhat unusual color and it didn't have any, shucks.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I has been a mild winter. A zone 11 winter this year. Many of my coleus are still going strong and I am growing more fond of the trailing types with every passing year. I think they stay warmer because they are so close to the ground.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is a rack of pots on a railing at a little to-go food place over on the southside. Red petunia and a few Rocket Snaps.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The pots in front of my house

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

are filled with cool season annuals

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been collecting photos of Impatiens in different color combo's. I am trying to add some photo's to Plant Piles that show composition. Ever notice that too many in that area are close ups of the flowers? I try to show plants in context (in the garden).

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is 3 scented geraniums, I really like these together as a ground cover. Low maintenance and low water, my kind of plants.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is one of those shots that I want to sell to a postcard company, Coreopsis tinctoria, a wildflower here and many other places, perennial here, annual up north.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

More coreopsis.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is the earilest flowering hippeastrum in my neck of the woods. This was at the botanical garden two weeks ago, the orange one I posted above, was from a couple days ago. I don't know its name, but, I am sure it is an old hybrid that has been around for a long time. I wish amaryllis had a longer period of bloom, around here it is about 2 weeks max. We have many pollinators.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Last one for today, this is Lotus maculatus. I grew this in CA and loved it. It just showed up (this year) at the nurseries around here, hope it likes a long, hot and humid summer.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You realize you are going to get "hate mail" saying that you all have enjoyed a zone 11 winter?????????? We just experienced the coldest and wettest January in 40+ years....

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi dale,

What do you do for a living? some type of landscaping? How many of these pictures that you post are from your home? or do you go around with a camera snapping pictures of different landscapes? Just curious, you have such beautiful pictures of things. amazing how many ideas you can get from looking at other people's pictures . . . Thanks for sharing.

peh

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is such wonderful eye-candy for a poor old gardener in Alaska who woke to 6F degrees and howling winds this morning. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

PEH, yes I am Dale, the Gardener for hire and I almost always have my camera with me. Don't follow my truck to closely, I break for flowers.

Swiss Sunshine on Mar 6 2007. I planted this from a single cutting last Aug at Marilyn's, she is Tuesdays job.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tomorrow I will be at Lisa's. The english style beds that I plant around the pool should be looking good. I will post some more shots tomorrow.

More from Marilyn's where I planted 5 different trailing coleus late last summer.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is a flower box that I saw on my lunch outing. I collect potted plant pics for ideas.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is a trailing coleus that started from a stem that fell out of my pile when I was cutting it back.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is Julie's pot in the backyard, she own a small nursery on the south side. I shop there alot, they carry many uncommon plants. I stop by the house on Sundays sometimes to say hello and snap photos. Her family does some top dollar flowerbeds. The photo above of the scented geraniums is her planting scheme, at home.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Want to see my yard? My first rain lilly of this year.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are some of the plants I bought last weekend to plant this week.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is Senna didymobotrya. I am growing very fond of this plant because it blooms over a longer period than Cassia alata and its growth is more modest. It has made seed this year, planted it last summer and it wintered over without any problems.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is part of my supper from the side yard. Yes I have tomato plants all winter. We start them in late Aug.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A Nun orchid

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The pots at the foot of my front steps, from a different angle.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

soooooo nice!!!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I sure wish Florida was a hop, skip, & a jump away instead of miles & miles cause I'd love to see your gardens . . . the pictures are beautiful but I doubt they do it justice . . . nevertheless keep those pictures coming . . . and if you have any other trailing coleus pic's, I'd love to see them. I got addicted to coleus last summer thanks to those addicts in the coleus forum (ya know who I'm talking about--Brinda, Hap, sugarweed, and the gang), but I haven't come across any of the trailing ones in my neck of the woods. May need to look for those this summer/spring.

Hey Gail--I think we need to take a road trip to Florida!!!!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Join us......am already planning one just for plants.....I am dead serious, Patty!!!!!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Gail you are too funny!!!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Patty and BG, Let me save you a long road trip. Send me the money and I will deliver the plants. (You know I'm kidding!).

Today at Lisa's--the long shot

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The close up

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Another close up

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Close up

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

opps the one above was supposed to be...

the viola pot

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

on the way to work I saw

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I found two bulbs laying on the ground next to the above clump, will trade for other hippeastrum (no modern hybrids please)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This summer when the Impatiens fold I am going to do a bed of Croton-this yellow/green one

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

and this coleus, Curly Speckels

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

On the way home I saw wildflowers, rare here in FL. We don't have the wonderful wildflowers like TX does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.