does anyone remember the SALAD GREENS disc. on WS.org?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Silly me, I read a fascinating bit from someone who liked fresh salad a lot . According to the poster, by WSing this one and fall sowing this other one and learning to like the taste of some other one, you could have fresh salad greens year round! BUT i CAN'T FIND IT! One would have thought I'd bookmark something that important, but no.

xxxx, Carrie

(Zone 6a)

Hi, Carrie :)
This isn't from WS.org but it sounds similar to what your're looking for... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700109/ It also mentions a website in that thread, maybe you can find something there?

Hope this helps,
Steven

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Similar but not it - thanks awfully, though...

xxxxx, Carrie

(Zone 6a)

I tried googling it too....but all it brought up was this thread LOL

How long ago was it you saw this page?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Last couple months... might have been on that gardenweb site Trudi keeps linking to?

(Zone 6a)

Do you have history on your web browser? If you do you might be able to look and see what sites you were at a couple months ago.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm using Firefox now. This was back in my IE days. But Steve, I surf so much, my history gets emptied regularly. I can't imagine being able to find it still. But thanks, good idea.

xxxxx, Carrie

(Zone 6a)

You're Welcome :) I hope you find your salad wheel :)
If I come across it, I'll let you know.

Steven

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Here is an interesting looking article that I turned up with a search: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2006-08-01/Grow-Great-Salads-Year-round.aspx

- Brent

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh Brent, that is so close. Thank you so much! The person who wrote my article must have read that. Thanks again!

xxx, Carrie

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Carrie: No problem...but watch all those x's....I am a married man. LOL!

I have to admit that salad greens are one of those items that I do not understand. I really could use more greens in my diet so I am hoping that by this fall I can create a garden area to start playing around with various greens. I did purchase a few packs of lettuce seeds this spring, but I am not going to have time to do anything with them.

- Brent

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Brent,

I'm just BLOWING kisses, can't get you in trouble!

That Mother Earth article should get you started with salads. Do you like coleslaw? What kind of dressing do you like on salad? Think of the little red crunchy parts that come in packaged salads - do you eat those, or leave them? I'm learning that lettuce and especially spinach are cold weather crops; you can still harvest spinach after frost! And cabbage and kale and that family will last forever, in the fridge or (I think) in the ground, or on the ground! I think I heard that bite for bite, broccoli and canteloupe are the healthiest things you can grow.

Our house was built in 1951 - they probably used arsenic sandpaper - let's just say I don't trust the dirt, especially where we're at the bottom of a hill with everybody's pesticide/fungicide/herbicide/homicide(?) leftovers washing down into our yard. Last year I grew a few - I mean 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes in one of my container plants. That's not 4 or 5 plants, that's four or five tomato fruits!!

blowing kisses ~ Carrie

This message was edited Mar 23, 2007 1:45 PM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Sometime last year there was a thread about a salad mix that people loved. Guess I'll do a search for it...

What is arsenic sandpaper?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

This thread is getting to funny! I'm laughing as I'm sitting here reading.

"Arsenic sandpaper".....hopefully there is no such thing! Carrie.......you trouble maker you! :~)

"pesticide/fungicide/herbicide/homicide(?)" Sounds like it could be a pilot for a new t.v. show!

Hopefully, no one is trying to grow Broccoli & Canteloupe at the same time. Broccoli loves the cold and Canteloupes need the heat to grow.

Blowing kisses with dirt covered hands to everybody!

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Carrie
Could it have been a link to Elliott Coleman's site. He wrote a book called, Four season Harvest.
Pauletta

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ho hum, I just lost my whole answer. Basically, Shirley, all the other people on our street put chemicals on their lawns several times a year. The kind that are harmless, except to the pets and small children who can read those little signs which say "WARNING! PETS AND SMALL CHILDREN STAY AWAY!!" I can only assume they are not only toxic for pets and children but also for other living things. I presume they protect the non-native grass against insects and crabgrass and dandelions and other stuff that makes maintaining a nice yard harder than creating a beautiful garden. Every time it rains, water washes down the street towards our yard. Our lawn doesn't look any better for it, though. (LOL) But I think it's better to assume the soil that came with the house is no good.

Cantaloupe and broccoli are the two most nutritious "vegetables"; I know almost nothing about growing them! I'm glad I could add a few chuckles to your day!

xxxxx, Carrrie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.