Tampa, FL

My parents just adopted a parakeet when they went out for a walk. The bird flew to them and follow them home. After a week it stays at my parents' home, they fall in love with the bird and now they want to get a second bird to keep the first one company. How can we tell it a male or female? b/c we want to have a pair of male and female. Or we have the bring the bird to the pet store and let them check it out? Thank for your advise!

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

I know that I'll get in trouble for this, but it's a quote. These are NOT my words! I am only trying to help:

"With Budgerigars, the males are playful, foolish and care-free while the hens tend to be serious, grumpy and moody - just like in people! (This is meant to be amusing, but there IS a definite difference in the disposition of the male and female budgerigars.) You can distinguish the males, for the cere, that fleshy area over the beak, around the nostrils is bright blue in the boys. If it's ANY other color, the bird is a hen. In the light colored Keets, particularly Albinos and Lutinos, the Ceres in both cocks and hens are pink. When you have a breeding pair, you may never witness any interaction between the two birds. The male will do acrobatics about the cage. The hen will sit in one spot and grumble and nag to herself. This is normal for Ma and Pa Keet!"

Now, why do they want a pair? Do they want to breed Keets? They will never talk if you have a pair. They can talk to each other. If they bond with humans only, young Keets can be taught to speak in our language. They have a limited vocabulary compared to lager brained Parrots.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Quoting:
The male will do acrobatics about the cage. The hen will sit in one spot and grumble and nag to herself.

Boy oh boy . And here I was thinking we were different to you guys .
WE ARE ALL THE SAME . lol
The birds you speak of are native to here (wild)
Their squawking drives us bananas.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
the males are playful, foolish and care-free while the hens tend to be serious, grumpy and moody - just like in people!

Hmmmm......me thinks that should be the other way around ;)

But seriously, we bought a parakeet when our daughter was about 3. We were told the bird was a boy, so our daughter named her Bob, after her uncle. I can't remember how long we'd had Bob, but suddenly he became ill in that he was just sitting in the bottom of the cage all fluffed up. I took him out to the vet, only to found "he" was egg bound. And of course not a he, but a she. I remember hearing also that if they have cage partner, that they no longer are socialable. Like when you put a mirror in their cage? They don't pay attention to you, don't want out of the cage, they only want to "play" with the image in the mirror (that was my experience as a child with a parakeet anyway).

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Boy, Stelco. You got yourself into hot water now. LOL

Stelco how fast can you swim backwards ???

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

At least it's only three against one! I figured that every woman on this site would be after me for posting that. I was really only trying to help and Tampaguy hasn't even come to my aid. It really was just a quote from another Website. I didn't write that! :)

Quoting:
I didn't write that!

Is that what you will say in court ???? lol

Why ginger, I don't think Mark realizes that you're a guy!! lol

I gather Mark is Tampaguy
Yes ~Kell = Ginger = a Boy~

No, Mark is Stelco!

I`ve been talking to Stelco for a long time .
He knows I`m off the Male variety .

When he said 3 against 1 and Tampaguy hadn't come to his defense, I figured he must of thought you were of the female persuasion. Not the first time I've been wrong and certainly won't be the last! lol....

LOL!! Terry, let's confuse him some more!!

Confuse Mark? I've done that already ;) tag! It's your turn!!

Nah, just ginger. Or Mark too. Just go around in circles all night long. LOL

Circles make me dizzy, think of another way.....lol......

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Terry is correct. I assumed that Ginger was a woman. Too much Gilligan's Island I guess!!! Sorry fella!

I don't hit all of the threads, so I may have missed something, but it was lines like this that threw me:

Quoting:

Also, I'm easily confused, as Terry well knows.

Mark a.k.a Stelco

LOL!!! I will try to remember that you confuse easily and make sure to confuse you all the time. And don't feel bad about thinking ginger was a gal. He's done that to just about everyone. And ginger we are still waiting on your pic of you in a dress.

I'M RIGHT!!!! I'M RIGHT!!!!

Poor Mark, I do forgive you, you know ;)

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Great. I get the Ginger thing straight and now pepper will be messing with me!

Thanks Terry

pepper's nothing but some scrawny 23 yr old boy. No need to worry Mark.

You're welcome!

Stelco, when I said

Quoting:

I meant us Aussies Compared to you Umericans males .
We have a saying here that the ladies don`t like .
" I`m A Big Fan of Women. Every Man Should Own One . "
Only a joke !!!!!!!!!!

Keep messing with his mind Terry!!! This is way too much fun!! LOL

You know its only 11.29 am here .

Cool.

Well fine pepper. Mark, pepper is really a 32 yr old body builder. He's touted as being the next Mr. Whatever it was that Arnold Schwarzenegger was way back when. He's got photo's on his website of him lifting trucks.

ROTFL!!!

Pep didn`t lift her truck ,
She put it into a ditch . lol
I`ve read her story .

That too. Too many times to count thanks to ice. And a neighbor who had to park on the road to check mail instead of driveway. That still bugs me.

pepper's not a she! He's got you fooled too, huh?

I`ve spoken to her 2 brothers ,
So I know you are fibbing . lol

pepper! Pulleeeze tell these people that you're a guy! End the charade once and for all!!

Actually I have 3 brothers. The other one lives in another state.

Nah.

I`ve only talked to the 2 that live in town .
The 2 that keep raiding your fridge .

Yeah, they raid all the time with no remorse.

pepper! Now darn it! Tell them all about your lovely wife and 2 equally lovely kids!

Teeee Heee Go on Pep .

My wife looks like you. Kids look like Tom Sellek.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.