Haves, wants for spring swap

Crozet, VA

Me again with more offerings. No one has asked for any thing specific from me yet. I am NOT taking these home!!!!! ha-ha

The following are houseplants that I have rootings for:

Coleus
Spider Plant
Purple Passion
African Violet slips
Begonia
Caladium bulbs
Elephant Ears

Any takers?

Ruby

Crozet, VA

I am hoping to come away that day with some lilac. Anyone???

Ruby

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

hey ruby....i'll help you out with some daylilies & caladiums & i'll even try elephant ears....i'm trying to figure out a place for a spyder plant...i've always loved those...a friend of mine used to have a huge one she named harry :-)

lynda

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ruby, the lilac from my great-aunt is finally taking off and turning into a recognizable bush, but I'm not sure if it has any "water shoots" at the base (rooted sprouts that could be separated) that I could remove for you... I'll check so I can cut them now to separate from the mother plant, and maybe other folks can also check their lilacs (not grafted ones) for water shoots. I thought a couple of the posts did mention lilacs being available... scroll up and check...

If I can find something for you, I'd be interested in trying a caladium or an EE is my "tropicals" bed by the deck. I did get a 'Black Magic' EE (Alocasia, I think) in a recent co-op, but it was pretty small (like a radish), so I'm not sure what to expect of it this year... I'd love to find 'Illustris', which I think is just gorgeous, but I'd try any color/variety.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, Lynda, just saw your post (my computer was idle for a bit there)... I've got a large spider plant in the bathroom that my DH calls "Peter" (as in Peter Parker, aka Spider Man). It has both green and variegated plants in the pot, and they seem to take turns throwing spiders... right now most of them are variegated... I've got 2 big hanging baskets of the green ones in the family room, and the spiders on them get really long -- I've seen them hanging down nearly 6 feet from the pot!

I think I'll try to run around the houseplants a week or two before the swap and put together a couple of "rooting jar" assortments of cuttings. :-)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Ruby... do you know what kind of EEs you have??? I may take you up on at least one.

Gita... no problem... whatever I have with me, y'all are welcome to. Like someone else said, I don't want to go home with what I brought. I did just buy the seeds in a store somewhere though, sometime in the early spring, when seeds were available everywhere.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

Critter, i wasn't sure if ruby had or wanted lilac...hmmmm...i'll have to go back through later...taking quick break from planting...going to pot up a larger sized pot of a green with white edging hosta for the swap...hope someone is tempted :-)
lynda

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh Ruby, I'd love some elephant ears if you have any left! And begonia!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ruby, I have double white lilacs on my list above. They smell wonderful, much stronger than the old fashioned lilac. I have the regular old fashioned lilacs too if you want some.

I would love to have an EE. Do they overwinter for you or do you have to dig them up?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh, if you have another lilac that hasn't been promised, I'd love a strong-scented double white one! I'll have to think of a special trade in return for it.... how about American Honeysuckle (Lonicera americana, *not* the invasive Japanese variety)? I just discovered a piece of it had layered over the winter and rooted itself next to the mother plant...

Sorry the photo is so dark, it was taken at dusk... the blooms are white and pink and pale yellow...

It smells wonderful, too!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Critter, I'm sure there's plenty of the white lilac for anybody who wants some.

The only honeysuckle I'd like is the old timey red kind like my grandmother grew. I had a start of it my mom gave me and it died. But don't worry about anything special. I'll be happy as a clam with some of your thyme or scented geraniums.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was just browsing over on Brushwood's site (I've bought some fabulous clematis from them, and I got my American Honeysuckle there also), and I noticed they have several varieties of Trumpet Honeysuckle, which look pretty red to me... Is that what you're looking for? http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/lonicera-honeysuckle-c-22.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll have a few French Doubles but they are a light lavender when open and a darker purple before they open. I love how they look when they first start to open and you get the mix of colors.
I will also have Trumpet Vine (Orange/red) and Wisteria (Lavender) maybe some Cardinal Bush if I can get it dug up.

This message was edited May 20, 2007 2:29 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec-----It's all right if you do not have any MG to share. But if you DO have a few seeds from this blue/pink beauty, I sure would like some for next year. I can wait until you gather the seeds this Fall and then send them to me (or trade for something). I have a lot of interesting seeds...

Ruby----Are your Caladiums already sprouted? If so, what color are they? I would be interested if they are already growing. The bulbs germinate soooo slowly!

Lynda----I will be bringing some well-growing Spider plants in 3.8" pots, the regular, variegated ones. Scroll up and check my "haves" list.

Today, I thought of something I have wanted for years. It is the "Butterfly Weed"--a perennial. Does anyone have a clump they would like to chop a piece off of? I do not want a small cutting of this, but a well established, growing division. Not asking for a lot--am I?

That's all for now, Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane - we've got I believe what is the "old fashion" honey suckle...my neighbor's got some new one's coming up around one of her bushes...sure she won't mind if I dig some up

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks for posting that, Critter. The two about halfway down that are apparently cultivars of Lonicera sempervirens are it. And now I know the name. What grandma had was a native plant, nothing fancy. Mom has some that she dug from the old home place, I just need to get some more from her.

Gita, I don't have a clump of butterfly weed, just one plant, but I'd be happy to save you some seeds from it this fall if you don't get any plants.

Holly, there are about a kajillion trumpet vine plants here if anyone wants any if that will save you any digging.

Crozet, VA

HA-ha - I love it, Harry the Spider Plant. Also like the Peter Parker one too. I guess that I should have named the huge one in our bedroom.

Alright, those who have asked for Elephant Ears, I will get them to you. It is officially closed for requests for EE. I will have them for Larienda, Hart, Critter, VA Wild Rose and Happy McComb.

Gita, the bulbs for caladium are not sprouted. You know what? They are actually still in the bag that I bought them in. I had forgotten that caladium was something that I started inside last year and then moved outside. I am thinking of starting several as houseplants and possibly putting in the ground next summer. I will try some in the ground too even though it is late. I will have plenty most likely if you change your mind.

Hart, we dug our EE's up and over wintered in crawl space. We put the bulbs in a big box of peat moss and they seem to have done fine. I also bought a bag with 7 in it at Lowe's a while back. John just planted them yesterday. I hope that he has 5 of them left over. Ours last year really put on a show. It was really huge. This year we have decided to leave them in the ground and not dig up, just cover with a lot of mulch.

I am going to list what I have written down so far. If corrections need to be made, let me know.

I will be bring to swap:

Lynda - Caladium, Elephant Ear, Day Lilys and Spider Plant

Holly - Astilbe

Hart - Lily of the Valley and Elephant Ear

Critterologist - Caladium and Elephant Ear

VA Wild Rose - Elephant Ear

Happy McComb - Elephant Ear and Begonia

If I missed anyone, let me know please. I can very easily have something directly in front of me and can't find it. ha-ha

Well, so far it looks as though you folks are gonna save us a lot of digging if this is going to be all that is asked for.

Anyway, thanks for all of the interest. I hope that everyone is having a good weekend.

I am adding Brent in NoVA - for Elephant Ear, Artemisia and Astilbe

Ruby

This message was edited May 28, 2007 2:09 PM

This message was edited May 28, 2007 2:09 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gitagal -- re butterfly weed -- I believe it roots readily. I don't have a large hunk (I think -- I'll check), but I can put a large cutting in some dirt and see what happens before the swap. Are you sure you don't want a Spiraea Anthony Waterer? A very nice plant. (I am trying to coddle up to you because my secret agenda is for you to let me visit you in Baltimore and air-layer a few springs of your beautiful camelia!)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi again - I have been looking at what y'all have - I guess I can narrow my "wants" to Irises - any vines - lilacs - spiderplants - lilies - daisies - sedums - and anything else y'all wanna bring!
I have figured out my dilemma at what to bring - I'll bring seeds - books - and goodies!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

The swap is sneaking up on me...guess I better get me list together! I just moved a year ago so I don't have a lot of great plants. I have some extras and a bunch of plants grown from seed this year.

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird' (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/49436/index.html)
4...3...2...1...gone! rooted cuttings. Rooted last fall...still very small. (happy_macomb, critterologist, hart, HollyAnnS)

Scabiosa ochroleuca (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2186/index.html)
9 plants - Seed grown last near. Interesting plant with a long flowering season.

Daylily 'Mary Reed' (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/17655/)
2...1 trades - Purchased a bag this year at Costco. They have not bloomed so I cannot guarantee that they are actually 'Mary Reed'. (critterologist)

Bearded Iris (Purple)
Several - From my reading the ideal time to divide irises is a month or so away. Maybe 'Mme. Henri Cayeux'...see picture below: http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3550986

I also have the following plants that I can dig/divide and bring along if requested.
Lamb's Ear
Liriope (green)
Pink Evening Primrose

I will bring along the following seed grown plants. Some are good sized and can be planted out now; some are still a bit small and can be left in their pots and planted out in the fall.

Salvia farinacea 'Blue Bedder' (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2868/index.html)
Iberis sempervirens - Evergreen Candytuft (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1545/index.html) (happy_macomb)
Nepeta x faassinii - 'Select Blue' Catmint (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53433/index.html) (happy_macomb, critterologist)
Lunaria annua - Money Plant (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/794/index.html) (happy_macomb)
Liatris spicata (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/86/index.html)

This post has my full list of winter sown plants: http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3266041 If you see something interesting let me know and maybe I can bring some along. This thread has some pictures of my potted up seedlings to give you an idea of the size: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/714301/

What do I want? I already have more plants than I can handle this spring, but if I looked through a plant catalog there are plenty of plants that I "need"! I would be interested in anything cool or unusual that is not overly aggressive. Here are a few off the top of my head:
- Heuchera
- Daylilies (not orange)
- Ferns
- Hellebores
- Astilbe
- Asters
- Mums
- Various Shrubs
- Ornamental Grasses

- Brent

This message was edited May 22, 2007 12:03 PM

This message was edited Jun 11, 2007 4:09 PM

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

Sally, i'd love to have your elderberry bush, dogwood, spiderwort & some iris :-)
LMK if you are interested in anything i have listed. Thanks, lynda

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Brent, I'd love to try your hydrangea and a 'Mary Reed' DL... I've got a lot of DL seedlings (most crosses involve purple flowers, no orange I promise) that I started this year, and I know there will be some extras/duplicates when I get them potted up into trade gallons. There's also a little DL that I stuck into a planter box (why?)... I think it's most likely either 'Happy Returns' or 'Little Grapette'.

In trade for the hydrangea, I've got a potted start of Leptodermis oblonga http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/63544/index.html from a little "extra" sprout in a pot I purchased last year. Or you can have the layered piece of honeysuckle (Lonicera americana, not the invasive Japanese one) that Hart passed on. If neither of those appeal, I'll find something else! :-)

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Critter, if all the hellebores I gave you survived and you have too many, feel free to trade them. I'm still considering coming. I'm starting to feel like I'll miss out on a really good time if I don't.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

SallyG: If you have any left of that beautiful siberian iris, would you bring me some?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Bobbie, I sure hope you decide to come! I think Kim (bluekat76) is considering going also... we should all drive down together! Are you willing to road trip in a car other than your beloved Miata? My car has more room for plants! ;-)

Your hellebores are all doing fine! Do you want a couple back so you can trade them for other goodies, or do you have more volunteers around your plants? My hellebore seed pots are coming along slowly... I think I have sprouts in 4 of them now, but only 1 pot has more than 2 sprouts, so I'm not (yet) overwhelmed with hellebores. But H. sternii has germinated well, and I hope I'll have an extra one for you! Check it out, http://www.southcom.com.au/~hortus/boughton%20beauty.htm

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Critter: One hydrangea and one 'Mary Reed' for you. If you want to trade the "planter box" daylily then I will take that and give a Leptodermis oblonga start a try.

My goal is to give away at least twice as many plants as I come home with. If you see something on my list and don't have anything to trade, feel free to send me a D-Mail. I will probably bring along 30 to 45 potted seedlings.

- Brent

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Brent: That's my goal too! So somebody'd better be ready to take home a lot of plants!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... I think that's about what I did at the midAtlantic RU a couple of years ago... and I still had a lot of goodies to plant!

Brent, I'll put your name on the DL and the Leptodermis. My little Leptodermis bushes had a few blooms last year -- tiny, but so sweetly fragrant! I may still bring along a couple of extra DL seedling pots... I did keep track of them this time, so one or both parents are known.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chantell, if your friend still has that red honeysuckle, could you get me some? I tried to get a piece from Mom today but she has no seedlings. Or does anyone know if this stuff will root from cuttings?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane - I'm sorry...I some didn't read that you were looking for a red one...this is the white/yellow type...I'm sorry.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, my American honeysuckle layered itself in the sunflower seed chaff by the patio (the birds went through 75 pounds of seed at that feeder this winter)... So I think cuttings would work. You might also try layering a start of it by bending a branch to the ground and pinning down a portion of it with a little dirt plus a rock or a landscape staple to hold it in place. When roots develop, you can make a cut to separate it from the mother plant and either pot it up on the spot or let it continue to grow in place for a bit before digging it up.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I can get plenty of cuttings. I think I'll try rooting some of those. I'd really like to have some from this plant - it came from my grandmother's original plant. It's in an awful place to try layering.

Maybe I can have some for you all at the next swap if I can get some rooted and growing.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill,

I just want to let you, and everyone else know how quickly and well the top-most cutting of your American Honeysuckle rooted in a glass of water. It was like within less than 2 weeks.
I lost the middle piece, but the bottom one is planted in a bed and growing.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane,
That would be great...by next year I might even have some of my variegated honeysuckle to share...suppose to have pink blooms...waiting for those still.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, I was just wondering if you'd had any luck with the cutting you took -- thanks! I'm sending a little rooted piece to a DGer in FL, and I'll send him some unrooted tip cuttings also. :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have Sweet Woodruff to bring?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell -- I can bring you loads of sweet woodruff. Some people think it is weedy, but I love the way it looks when it covers an area, and I have been cultivating it.

I have it growing under hostas, so far with no ill effects. Does anyone know if it will strangle plants like hostas that can easily grow above it?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

By the way, I have continued to edit my first post in this thread with what I am bringing and who I have made promises to.

So if you have a moment, please check my original thread and let me know if there is anything there you want, and if I have already promised you something, make sure I've got your name down.

I have plenty of all the plants listed, so please don't hesitate to let me know you'd like something. I'd hate to not bring enough just because someone didn't want to seem greedy. I don't need anything in exchange. These are not plants I am getting rid of (other than the trumpet vine, which turns out to be very invasive -- but I remember when I couldn't live without it!), but rather are plants I love that have flourished and so I have extras that I don't have room for. It would just make me happy to know my plants have found new homes to grow in.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Okay, count me in! I don't think I'll have too long a list because I don't want to commit anything to anyone that I still might manage to kill before the swap. My remaining hellebores are doing well, but I won't have as many as I hoped to bring. I thought they were happy where they were so I didn't dig them up before I mulched a few weeks ago. I guess the result was pretty much like damping off. I managed to save about half of them. The parent plant of the foetidus never did come back after being broken by the snow. So I might have 3-6 of them to bring (foetidus and Lenten Rose). I'll make a list of positive brings as soon as my mom decides what she wants to take from what I have. Critter, I still want to give you some of that Variegated Snowy Nutmeg Geranium that I picked up when we went to Surreybrooke. And you'd be surprised what I can get in my little car, but if Kim comes we'd have to set the trunk up like a rumble seat, so maybe it's best if we take yours :)

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

happy, i'd love some of the butterfly bush, sweet woodruff, & spirea

chantell, i'd love some tuberose & gardenia smelling vine :-)

gita, i'd love some rudbeckia (sp), shasta daisies & yellow datura (i had some luck with lavender datura initially & now they look a little sad)

holly, i'd love some Ornamental Plum tree, Water Iris Yellow,Willow Trees,Comfrey & Peonies

Sally, i'd love to have your elderberry bush, dogwood, spiderwort & some iris :-)
{i posted that earlier, just trying to get things in one place}

greenkat...i'd love some ferns :-)

critter, i'd love some of your various herbs...i've heard mint does well contained!

i'll have to look again later regarding others...probably will just have to do the old pad & pen thing and then do a message!

for happy i have lilac saplings (yellow & lavender)
ruby i have wonderful large jade plant
susan i have baby jade plant
hart i have some trees that tolerate black walnut & i'll do some cuttings of the rose that is currently blooming all around black walnuts...i know there was other stuff :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.