Haves, wants for spring swap

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, please only post your haves and wants here and keep the chit chat for another thread. Please post ONE post and edit it as needed for your haves and wants, although obviously people will be posting what they'd like from what has been posted.

I think it will be a lot easier for everyone to sort out if you put your list of haves in bold text and your list of wants in regular text. I'll find the info on how to do that later. Please put the entire haves list in bold, not just the title.

I would suggest too if anyone is arranging a lot of trades beforehand that you be sure you are going to attend or at minimum you let the person bringing/expecting plants know ahead of time you're not going to be there.

Here's the directions on how to make bold text.
http://davesgarden.com/faq/forums/#131

This message was edited Mar 4, 2007 12:39 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

(Saving for any future announcements needed.)

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

ok, let me see if i can get this in the right format :-)

HAVE
ancient jade plant {spoken for} & some baby jade plant-lets
yellow lilac saplings/sproutlets...dug up
purple lilac saplings...not sure of shade
purple lilac saplings...lavender
hosta...unknown type, they were here at new house & more varieties than i realized...some green with gold edging, some a blue-green and a few with white edging....they haven't been divided in a long time, so some good sized ones can be dug up easily...let me know in advance if interested
little violets....growing all over :-)....i think they are a cute ground cover...have very light purple w/dk edgings & solid violet purple
ditch lilies....i'm going to work with and around as many as i can...i just keep finding them in more and more places
newly discovered hackberry tree seedlings...they seem to hold their own with the black walnut trees
i do have black walnut tree seedlings should any one want one
an old growth rose, unknown type, rambling very high & wide, partial-shade to shade, single white flowers w/gold in middle which are maybe an inch in size w/light scent...can do cuttings since are currently blooming

Wants:
daylilies
any types of bulbs...daffodils, tulips, etc (have yd who is "pick happy"!)
rose cuttings
bleeding heart
coral bells
hollyhocks
ferns
mayapples
sweet woodruff
lady's mantle
bee balm

the haves will increase when i find out what is growing in our new place & what has survived my attempts at seeds and winter-sowing

thanks, lynda

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 4:58 PM

This message was edited May 1, 2007 6:09 PM

This message was edited May 13, 2007 1:34 PM

This message was edited May 16, 2007 10:31 AM

This message was edited May 18, 2007 8:25 AM

This message was edited May 18, 2007 8:34 AM

This message was edited May 20, 2007 2:56 PM

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I would love a cutting or the plant but I am not sure what I am bringing to the swap yet.
Susan

Crozet, VA

Oh my gosh Lienda - I would also like to have a cutting from the jade plant. I love them but have never really had very much success with them. I have one growing that I would put in a pot with the new cutting and hope that both will thrive.

This is so exciting!!!

Ruby

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Have

Autumn Fern "Brilliance"
Sensitive Fern

Want

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 2:35 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Have
Daffodil/narcissus- 'Salome', 'Hawera', 'Minnow', Ice Follies, my'multiplier' , see my journal
Canna- tall, red, green leaved common type-ruby maybe
Wood hyacinth white-plenty! at least three trades worth
Grape hyacinth purple -plenty
Lamiastrum yellow archangel-plenty of it!
Amaryllis all red unknown var name-2
Salvia Coral Nymph annual- iff sprout by then
Tradescantia, spiderwort- local wild, purple-4-5 pots
Hens and chicks, one that turns red over winter-chantell and another
Bearded iris in journal- a pinkish lavendar one, a white and purple and a giant blue-purple
Siberian iris purple, older cultivar-for happy m, hart, and ?, much as desired
Cutting celery Afina
jewels of Opar
Tiger lilies for hart and more
Houseplants-shefflera,cuttings of peperomia obtusifolia, golden pothos, a little spath Petite, a graptopetalum in my journal, aloe
Wild elderberry bush 12 inches but growing fast-lar
Bubby bush aka sweet shrub Calycanthus scent guaranteed!Chantell, critter
Local dogwoods, 15 inches,few branches, in pot- lar, critter holly- and more
Bead fern /sensitive fern-spreads 'well'-somebody asked
Ostrich fern
pointed blue eyed grass a native- may not look good, drying up
american holly babies

I will try to update my journal with details and photos on all above. Please feel free to request from my journal, esp if it says have plenty. I may not bring ALL of these, but if you ask for it I sure will bring. Happy to give away!

Want
Stuff I don't have!
a baby jade plant
small tough plants for indoors, low -med light-but no pothos, silver queen aglaonema,
Daylilies,
prickly pear
a lilac
a rose or cutting that doesn't get black spot, w/ good scent
pregnant onion if it's easy
pink wood hyacinth
sweet woodruff if takes some dry
Brunnera, to replace large green hostas that got eaten by voles.
Clustered bellflower
azalea
crape myrtle

( I just discovered you can clean up all your edit notices)

This message was edited Jun 2, 2007 6:05 PM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 9:10 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, I've been trying to get the yellow lamiastrum since last spring. Could you save me some?

Does the Salome spread nicely? I planted some last spring and I'm hoping it will spread like the regular daffs.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Have
Very small babies - very limited Japanese Blood Maple
a smaller prickly pear - Opuntia humifusa (only one native to the east coast, I believe)
Various prickly pear pads - hardy enough to make it through the past winter
Obedient plant (purple flowers)
Persian Lilac - cuttings (my attempts at rooting failed...ugh)
Munstead Lavender cuttings
Limited Provence Lavender cuttings
Rosemary cuttings
Various Sedums (cuttings - 4-5 different varieties)
Mints
Vinca (ground cover type-blue/purple tiny flowers)
various tree seedlings that have been popping up
a no-name vine with gardenia scented blooms
Rooted wandering jew - type used outside as well as indoors
Moonflower - starting some now - limited amt

Want:
Highly fragrant plants
Daylilies - only fragrant ones pref pinks/purples/whites
Any unusual indoor cacti (that I don't have already) that need homes
Sedum - Hens and chicks (other then "normal" green)
Lavender I don't already have :)
Groundcover i.e. Sweet Woodruff (sp?)
Passiflora incarnata (cold hardy purple type)

Please let me know if any of you are interested in Rosemary and Lavender cuttings.
ALL - who else was interested in some Jade Cuttings - I should be able to bring some of that as well...it's a smaller Jade...think I heard it referred to as 'chubby jade' Possibly an established plant
-----------------------------------------------------------------

THE FOLLOWING IS TO HELP ME KEEP TRACK IN ONE PLACE (please let me know if I forgot something or someone)
Trades to give:
Critter - Vinca. Lavender (rooted, if possible)
larlienda - rose cuttings, gardenia scented vine cuttings, tuberose
happy_macomb - cuttings from the Persian Lilac, Prov. Lavender, & Rosemary and a Yucca recurvifolia pup
Gitagal - lavender cuttings, moonflower
sallyg - Rosemay cutting, PP, Jade, pots
Susan - PP - Jade (if you still want)
Becky - moonflower, rose bush baby, sedums, Japanese Blood Maple (please remind me what else)
hart - taro root (EE) - if you're interested, Black Spined PP, ice plant
Wrightie - Yucca recurvifolia pup, Lavender/Rosemary cuttings if wanted, Hens and chicks - possible Taro root (need to check), Nicotiana cuttings (possible seeds if avail)

Trades from (if available):
Ruby - (if you have "spares") - Lilly of the Valley
Sally - Calycanthus, Hens and Chicks, spiderwort
hart - double white lilac, clustered bellflowers
Karen - morning glories (if you have enough)
Happy_macomb - Sweet Woodruff (I think it was you, happy - if not someone else please correct me)
Critter - Rose Campion, Chocolate Mint, Spearmint, tomato plants
Becky - Columbine (I can't remember who else had it)
Gita - Datura, Lilly of the Valley

This message was edited Jun 8, 2007 12:23 PM

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello,
I have a couple of white crepe myrtles sorry my spelling is awful... I also will be bringing a few hoyas I am rooting.... I also have the spring bush with the yellow flowers... I cant think of the name at the min. but it will come to me some day :-) I may have an Irish light lavender to bring... at this time is just hard for me to tell... I am new to all this... I also have two avacodo's rooting with nice roots and shoots starting to come out the tops and I will be planting them soon so if anyone one wants these they can have... I have two for me growing also.. :-) Well I will keep you all kinda posted...

I love cactus so any kind is nice...
Susan

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks...I did not notice this was for a swap only.
Ray

This message was edited Mar 22, 2007 8:48 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ray, this thread is for people who are planning on attending the plant swap in the spring, not for general trading.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'll list some of what I have now but will have to add in things later as they pop up. I'm not going to look up Latin names right now.

HAVE

Obedient plant "Vivid"
Gooseneck loosestrife
Clustered bellflower - dark purple flowers
Trumpet vine - this one has very dark flowers, look more red than orange
Golden moneywort
Catnip
Pink evening primrose/sundrops
White double lilac rooted babies
Prickly pear
Yucca
Apple mint - very pretty light green foliage
Japanese mondo grass
antique bearded irises, light purple
regular and giant lambs ears
Chocolate mint - very pretty and smells like chocolate
May also have cuttings, not rooted starts, of pineapple mint
Pussytoes - Antennaria

I'm sure I'll be adding a lot to this list as the weather warms up. I also have a lot of seeds I planted inside and I'm sure I'll have some extras from those.

This message was edited May 4, 2007 1:23 PM

This message was edited May 11, 2007 11:36 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

bump

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm doing a separate post on this. See above for other plants I have. There are 3-4 nice great mullein/verbascum plants that have seeded themselves in one little section of one of my flower beds. This is a wild plant but a lot of people use them in beds for height, the yellow flowers and the interesting foliage.

If any of you want them, I'll pot them up for the swap. They should bloom this year since this is their second year and they are biennials.

I just had to post this information that I found while looking for pictures - those of you with children please note the uses of the his plant for children taken by fairies. LOL Below that is a link to some pretty decent photos.

Also known as Turkish Mullein, Lady's Foxglove, Graveyard Dust, Cow's Lungwort, Aaron's Rod, Beggars Blanket, Flannel Petticoats, Flannel Flower, and The Virgin Mary's Candle (the poor used the spikes as candles). Caterpillars seem to like it! Roman women would dye their hair yellow with the plant's flowers. The name Verbascum may come from the Latin "barbascum", meaning bearded, because the plant is so woolly. Another name for the plant is Hag's Taper, because witches would light the stems to use as torches to guide them to their covens.

Mullein is from the same family as Figwort. A biennial plant, growing in hedgerows and wasteland. Grows to about 6 ft (1.2 m) high. Typical cottage garden plant, particularly in Tudor times. The Roman herbalist, Trallianus, was said to use the plant's ashes to render grey hair back to its original colour.

The leaves are tough and would be put into children's shoes if their shoes were wearing out. Native American Indians would also use the leaves similarly to line their moccasins. The plant has been used for treating diarrhoea and chest ailments. Also used as a cure for coughing in cows - hence its other name of Cow's Lungwort. Plant self-seeds well, and is cultivated in Ireland for treating lung disorders. Mullein oil can be used for earache - although do not use if the eardrum has ruptured. Crushed flowers are said to remove warts. Plant has anti-TB properties. It used to be believed that a small piece of the plant taken regularly would prolong one's life.

Ulysses was given a Mullein stalk by the gods for defence against the beautiful but evil Circe. Henceforth, the plant was believed to have valuable protective properties. If you are journeying into the wild, wear Mullein around your neck to prevent animal attack. Dried leaves were smoked by American Indians, and are also smoked in pipes to help relieve smoker's cough. Seeds used to be thrown into fishing waters in the belief that the fish would be drugged if they ate them and therefore would be easy to catch.

The plant can be used to bring back children who have been abducted by fairies. A little Mullein under your pillow at night can prevent nightmares. A dried bunch of Mullein hanging over your door will prevent evil spirits from entering. A small amount of Mullein in your pocket will attract love.

The flowers make a tea for decreasing pain and encouraging sleep. Inhale the steam for congestion. Crushed flowers are also said to remove warts. Can be used to treat ringworm. Put Mullein in your shoes to prevent colds. Flowers and olive oil used for frost bite and bruises.

Food plant of honeybees, bumblebees and sawflies, and the Mullein moth and Striped Lychnis moth caterpillars.

http://waddell.ci.manchester.ct.us/id_mullein.html
http://www.herbarium.lsu.edu/stinger/GFG000617.jpg

Thumbnail by hart
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow- i have this plant but didn't know all that. but I can say that goldfinches liked to feed on it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like Lambs Ear. Wonder if that is another name used?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Still watching my "haves"... but should have...
Ginkgo seedlings
Morning Glory - Picotee Red, Picotee Blue, and Flying Saucer

(I'll keep editing this...)

Karen

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's not lambs ear. That reminds me, I have regular and giant lambs ears. Need to add those to the list above.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

bumping

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This list will probably change a little but I thought it would give you a little idea of what I have and what I'm looking for. Mostly pretty common plants.

Have
Hosta variegated (with green edge and with white edge)
(Blue green with light green)
Lemon mint
Ornamental Plum tree
Vinca major periwinkle variegated
Vinca minor periwinkle
Water Iris Yellow
Day Lily Orange (Ditch)
Sedum Yellow
Ajuha
Willow Trees
Forsythia
Comfrey
Rose (small starter) White Dawn Climber
Ornamental Sweet Potatoes (plain green)
Ornamental Grass Variegated (Green and White Stripe)
Wood hyacinth (purple)
Peonies

Plants wanted
Astilbe
Red Hot Poker
Concord Grapes
Creeping evergreen
Water pond plants
Japanese or Louisiana Iris
Hellebores
Carpet Phlox (creeping)
Irish Moss
Coleus

This message was edited May 18, 2007 8:14 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Bumping these up so they don't get lost

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll add to this as we go along, but I figured I'd mention a few things that I know I'll have in abundance.

HAVES

'Kentucky Colonel' spearmint (my favorite mint, great in everything from lamb-burgers to tea to mint juleps), will dig & bag clumps
'Chocolate Peppermint' (sweet peppermint-patty flavor), will dig & bag clumps
Other mints (cuttings or small starts; these are all newer and in pots), possibly including Ginger Mint, Julia's Sweet Citrus, Hillary's Sweet Lemon, Pink Candy Pops, Jim's Sweet Lemon-Lime, Orange Mint, Doublemint (curly leaves), Jesse's Sweet Pear, Marshmallow Mintt.... At the least, I'll bring an assortment of cuttings (labeled if I find the time) and we can use them in tea and/or take them home to root

Creeping English Thyme (6 inches tall, nice scent/flavor), five 3-4" pots
Other creeping thymes: Coconut Thyme (T. praecox) and Translucent Golden Thyme, Mother of Thyme (bringing 3 sets of these)
Greek Oregano, 6 divisions in 4"pots
Basil -- flat of extras, including Italian, Sicilian, Minette, Red Bordeaux, Salad Leaf, and Lime
Tomato seedlings -- cherry varieties, plus a couple misc. extras (including 'Cherokee Purple', 'Black Russian' if anybody wants to try an "exotic" black variety)
Hot Peppers -- 6 assorted seedlings, a few more available upon request

Purple Obedient Plant seedlings (came up thickly around last year's plant)
Yellow Unknown Flower that's not Chocolate Daisy (see post below, bloomed first year from WS seed)
Purple Lysimachia
Shasta Daisy from Gita for Larlienda
Leptodermis oblonga in trade gallon pot for Brent
DL 'Happy Returns' fan for Brent
Coral Honeysuckle for Hart
Peachleafed Bellflower in 4 inch pot (1 year old wintersown seedling, Campanula persicifolia)

Houseplant cuttings -- several colors of wandering jew, silver plectranthus, purple plectranthus, swedish ivy, trailing coleus.
Scented Geranium cuttings: Lime, Attar of Roses, Cocoa Mint Rose ("skeleton" leaves), Chocolate Peppermint (will cut & bag night before swap)
Sedum, low growing, fast spreading, pointed little leaves and yellow blooms... partly rooted cuttings pulled from border, 3 baggies
Walking Onion

Wintersown or volunteer seedlings in deep cell packs:
Salvia 'Purple Knockout' (6)
Veronica longifolia (6)
Columbines, assorted (30)
Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria), magenta blooms (18)
Corydalis (yellow) (12) for SallyG & Hart
Brunnera macrophylla (6) for SallyG

Wants: good groundcover or "shoes and socks" plants for perennial beds, especially Lamium (have 'Orchid Frost') and Mazus reptans. I've got mostly full sun, my favorite color is purple, and I love fragrant plants and "edible ornamentals."

Here are the notes I have on who wants what... if you don't see something you wanted by your name, let me know! :-)

Happy_Macomb: mints, thymes, SG cuttings, plectranthus cuttings, hot pepper & cherry tomato seedlings, 'Stupice' and 'Jaune Flamme' tomato seedlings (hopefully up-potted), purple obedience plant, greek oregano

Hart: plectranthus and SG cuttings, thyme starts if available, Nancy's purple iris, Corydalis (6 pack of volunteer seedlings)

Sally: Brunna macrophylla (6-pack of wintersown seedlings), Corydalis (6 pack of volunteer seedlings), Lysimachia

Larlienda: Not-Choc-Daisy, Purple Obedience plant, Shasta Daisy (from Gita), any herbs or mints

Gita: mints, tomato plant, Not-Choc-Daisy, Columbine seedlings

Chantell: tomato plants, Rose Campion (6 pack of volunteer seedlings), KY Colonel Spearmint, Chocolate Peppermint

Ruby: Columbine seedlings

Brent: Leptoderma oblonga (budding up now to bloom!), DL from planter box

Miatablu: Columbine seedlings

This message was edited May 28, 2007 7:02 PM

This message was edited Jun 7, 2007 6:14 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's my start of a list. I'll add to it . . . . Please feel free to ask for lots, even if you bring nothing in return. These are really extras. I'll edit it for any plants I should ear-mark for you -- just let me know.

Haves:
Ajuga "Burgundy Glow" (including some for Brent, Chantell, Miatablu and Hart)
Ajuga "Chocolate Chip" (including some for Critter, Brent, Chantell and Miatablu and Hart)
Ajuga -- plain old green (including some for Critter and Hart)
Begonia grandis (including some for Brent, Gita and Chantell; this is a wonderful plant if you don't already have it)
Butterfly bush (it is a blue named cultivar but I have forgotten the name, alas; assuming I can root it in time) (including some for Gitagal and larlienda)
Cuban Oregano (I love this, which Critter gave me; Critter hates the smell)
Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff -- including lots for Critter, Chantell, SallyG and Larlienda; some people think it is invasive but I love it)
Hosta "Gingko Craig" (small; this multiplies fairly quickly and is good for edging; including some for SallyG and Wrightie)
Hosta "Golden Tiara" for SallyG and Wrightie
Hosta "Krossa Regal" for SallyG, Miatablu, Critter, and Wrightie
Lamium (don't know the cultivar -- it was from my mom's garden) (including some for Hart)
Lamium maculatum 'Purple Dragon' (including some for Hart and Chantell)
Liriope (nothing fancy)
Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander' (including some for Hart)
Mazus (including some for Critter)
Persicaria Virginiana 'Lance Corporal'
Sedum Autumn Joy
Spirea "Anthony Waterer" (including several for Hart and Larlienda)
St. John's Wort (including some for SallyG; let me know soon so I can propagate it)
Stylophorum diphyllum (Wood poppy) for Miatablu
Tiarella cordifolia 'Eco Running Tapestry' (including some for Hart, Chantell and Brent)
Tradescentia "Sweet Kate" (for Miatablu -- if anyone else wants some, let me know; I don't have a lot so I'm not going to bring it generally)
Variegated solomon's seal (for Miatablu, Hart, Brent_in_Nova and Critter)
Vinca major (or is it minor), variegated
Flowery, fragrant ground cover plants for shade for Chantell
maple sapling (if I have one) for miatablu

Wants:
Bseward: I'd love your creeping jenny
Chantell: I'd love your persian lilac and a provence lavendar cutting; Yucca recurvifolia, Rosemary cutting
Critter: I'd love any extra mint cuttings (exc. the choc and kentucky you already gave me, and except lemon which I have), thyme, geranium cuttings, hot pepper seedlings and cherry tomato seedlings, and a purple obedience seedling
Gitagal: Nandina, if she has enough; Chrisanthemum Pacificum and Datsura seedling; Goldstrum or Shasta Daisies if enough
Greenkat: I'd love any extra Autumn Fern "Brilliance" and Sensitive Ferns
Hart: I'd love your pineapple mint, apple mint, antique bearded iris and golden moneywort, the jewelweed that grows by the road, the pink evening primrose/sundrops, the white double lilacs, the giant lambs ears and the pussytoes, obedient plant "Vivid". Clustered bellflower. Am I greedy or what?
Larlienda: I'd love your lilac sapling
SallyG: I'd love your Wood hyacinth white, Grape hyacinth purple and Hens and chicks that turn red in the winter; oh, and if you have any extra Siberian iris . . .

Oh dear, I'd better add to my "haves" list!

Wants for Wrightie:
Chantell: Yucca
Any types of ferns
- Hens & Chicks (any sedums)
- Yucca
- Hosta (especially var. blues and greens)
- Definitely some delicious Greek Oregano cuz I’m all out! (any & all herbs)
- Any and all poppies (especially Himalayan blues)
- Elephant Ears
- Artemesia (actually anything blue or grey in color)
- Anything with height and tolerant of Partial Sun
- Fragrant

This message was edited Jun 8, 2007 7:42 AM

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy,

Wish I'd known about the Jewelweed three weeks ago, when I was visiting my Mom. Her place is covered in it. I don't think I'll be back down there again before the swap though... sorry! :-(

Karen

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Not a problem -- and thanks anyway! I know it is considered weedy, but we have so much poison ivy that I thought it might help. . . .

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Happy, there's some jewelweed growing alongside the road just immediately up the road. I'll see if I can find it and dig you some.

I'm so glad you all are bringing ajuga. I'm trying to get lots of lamium and ajuga to cover a long slope. Happy, I hope I can get some of your tiarella too.

Critter, I have lots of golden moneywort that I use as socks in one of my large beds. I would love to get a piece of plectranthus. I used to be able to get it every year at the nursery in Edinburg so I never wintered it over but they closed.

I added pussytoes to my list because I see a lot of places selling it. I have oodles of that too if you need a groundcover for a dry spot. The pussy toes are so cute.

I'm going to keep adding to my list. I see I have a lot of wild black cherry seedlings and if they're not too hard to dig up, I'll add that to the list later.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: I'd love more pussytoes -- I just have a tiny bit.

I have lots of plain ajuga too -- does that interest you or should I not bother? I also have some no big deal lamium I can bring. I'll edit my list.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, I'll clip some Plectranthus and get it rooting for you. I think there might be a 6 inch pot of silver-leafed plectranthus all ready to go downstairs. I've got several different kinds of plectranthus thanks to a trade with Begoniacrazii -- no idea of their names, but they're pretty cool. If you want variegated Cuban Oregano, talk to Happy... pretty plant, but I just don't like the scent (and neither does my generally tolerant DH), so I sent the whole thing home with her recently! You know, the KYC spearmint might work on your slope also... it's not as thuggish as other mints (including Chocolate Peppermint), and I just let it ramble through the bed by my deck... it spreads, but it's fairly shallow-rooted, and it doesn't seem to outcompete or strangle other plants in the bed. Plus, it seems to keep the bunnies away from the bed.

Your golden moneywort sounds pretty, and I'll have to look up Pussy Toes! Gosh, I just looked at your "haves" list again, and I'll have to be sure to bring lots of goodies to trade with you... I'd love a white lilac baby and a clustered bellflower, and I don't have either Apple Mint or Pineapple Mint. Your antique irises sound lovely also... I will check, but I'm not sure any of my irises are bit enough to divide yet.

Happy, I would love some mazus, and even just a little start of the Chocolate Chip ajuga. I'll bring your pot of alpine strawberry, and you'll have to remind me if you wanted any pepper plants...

Greenkat, if you think your ferns would be hardy in Pittsburgh (zone 6), my mom would love them... hopefully I'll have something that you'd like in trade.

Sally, those white wood hyacinths sound yummy, and I can always find a place for daffs, so I'm hoping I'll have plants for you also. I do have some wintersown Brunnera seedlings that I'll up-pot soon, so if they keep doing well I'll have a pot of those for you.

Mom keeps trying to grow grass under the huge maple in their front yard (a losing battle), so if anyone has vinca to spare (the wildly vining variety would be just the ticket), I'm thinking I might start propagating some to bring to her in fall or next spring.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The plain ajuga sounds great. No big deal lamium sound great too. I'm trying to cover this slope because it's impossible to mow. Looks awful now. I got a little bit of lamium and ajuga last year and it's doing well there.

I'll pot up a bunch of pussytoes. It's all over the place here.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Plain ajuga sounds good to me too... I've got some burgundy-leafed ones in the bed at the side of the house... they're small, but growing, and I like them!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Critter, the mint is way too tall but I appreciate you thinking of me. I'm moving all my daylilies to that slope but want something growing under them to keep the darned weeds and grass down. I've sprayed with Roundup as I go along but they pop right back up.

The pineapple mint is very pretty with variegated foliage. It's not very vigorous. It hasn't spread at all from the plant I planted last year. That's why I only have cuttings and probably only a few of those, but it should root easily.

Keep checking my list. I'm adding things as they emerge. I forgot to add my pretty little blue salvia, which has started to bloom today. It's bright blue and never gets more than about a foot tall or so. I'll add it to the list later.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: You wrote: "Critter, I have lots of golden moneywort that I use as socks in one of my large beds." I've been puzzling over the "sock" reference.

Would some Spirea help hold your slope?

Critter: I have tons of ajuga. Would you be willing to bring me some plectanthrus? And I forgot to add the Cuban Oregano to my list -- it is doing beautifully, by the way.

This message was edited May 11, 2007 9:55 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Socks=low groundcover. LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Got it!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I will clip my plectranthus plants mercilessly! If you put a few cuttings of your cuban oregano in water, you will see how easily plectranthus cuttings root... I think I'll have plenty to go around!

:-)

BTW, I know dablaw (DL guy, former DGer) once posted about Roundup and said that it does not kill daylilies (sometimes it knocks them back a bit, usually he said they are unaffected by it), so it's safe to use it on your slope even with the DLs in place.s

I guess I didn't think about how tall mint can get by the end of a season... if mine gets out of control, I just whack it down once or twice during the summer, but I can see where you don't want to run around your slope with a weed wacker! I'm still planning to bring a bunch of 'Kentucky Colonel' spearmint, because I think it's a plant that everyone should have.... but I won't bring it in groundcover quantities, LOL.

I edited my "haves" list with the varieties of "fancy" mints that I have... these were all overwintered in pots, and I'm planning to plant out half of each pot in my little orchard (good place for mints to run wild, I think), so I may only have small starts or cuttings available.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I didn't realize there was a limit to how many times a post can be edited for a day, but I reached that limit last night on my "haves and wants" post, and even though this strikes me as a new "day", I still can't edit it. But when I can get in again (which may not be for a few days because we are going on a short trip) I'll update it for all requests/offers. Many thanks.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The edit limit works on a 24 hour cycle -- I've run into it also. I'm trying to remember, it might be 5 edits per day? But the limit applies to all edits you make anywhere on DG, not just edits to a single post. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the limit, unless edits eat up server capacity or unless people would post and retract things all over the place without a limit (I guess I could see how that could produce confusion on threads). I tend to see typos right after I hit the "send" button, so I could use a few extra edits each day, but oh well.

I've started up-potting some of my wintersown seedlings, and I'll have some spares available if people are interested... The columbins germinated like crazy (they won't bloom until next year), as did the 'Blue Clips' campanula, and I could spare a few Veronical longifolia and Salvias also (I had them marked as 'Purple Knockout' seedlings, but the coloring seems less purple than I'd expect, so they could be something else, maybe Salvia 'Caradonna'). I guess I'd better edit my list! LOL

Oh, and if anybody likes this plant, I've got several (large) volunteer seedlings... I sowed seeds that were labeled "Chocolate Daisy" (Berlandiera lyrata), and I got this lovely plant with blooms that looked like Chocolate Daisy but had no chocolate scent, plus the plant was about twice as tall as I'd anticipated (looked odd at the front of the border LOL). I've since obtained some "real" B. lyrata seeds, and they looked quite different. So, I don't know exactly what it is, but it has nonstop yellow blooms most of the summer, and butterflies flock to it. It got about 3 feet tall in my garden last year, and I don't know if it will be taller this year (last year's plants are almost 2 feet tall already).

Here's a photo of the "Not Chocolate Daisy"

Thumbnail by critterologist
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The edit limit was started when someone left DG and started deleting all of his posts. I think editing co op posts isn't limited.

Crozet, VA

Alright ya'll - having difficulties. Who will (in dunce language) tell me how to use the test forum? I went to FAQ's to see how to bold type. It said to practice using "test forum." I can't figure out how to get to test forum.

Anyone???

And......thank you so much for the help.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.